Goths - whats it all about?

Hmmmmm let me think.

Goth, Chav, Goth, Chav, Goth, Chav, Goth, Chav

I know who i would rather spend time with!.....Goth every time :thumbsup:

I spent a short time hanging around with a couple of Goths. They were way too intelligent for me at that age but very nice anyway.

I was a Goth from around the age of 13 or so. I had the big black hair, the black and purple clothes and the pointed buckle boots from Rebinas (sp). My favourire coat was part of a vicars vestments that my mums church were thowing away. It was floor length, black and fitted in at the waist and flowed out on the floor behind me! I loved it and wore it every where until I became the proud owner of a 1940's black tail coat! I then wore that along with a leather peak cap!

I turned more hard punk in my late teens and had a mohican. I still had the mad hair up until about 2 years ago.

Ahhhh those wre the days!

My kids P**s themselves when they see photos of me when I was about 15 (I'm now 36 and past it!!)

Originally posted by FetishFairy

...until I became the proud owner of a 1940's black tail coat!

I had one of those. I like the little pocket in the tails, perfect for a bottle of premixed pernod&black (lol)

That was what I liked about the goth thing, is that you could pretty much make it up as you went along as far as a look went.

And yes, goths were reliably the most friendly of the "youth subcultures" that were running at the time even if a few of them were a bit hung up on the occult...

Well I was kinda hoping for info into the background behind it. The occult and vampires have been mentioned so I assume the roots are from there.

Doesnt explain why they smell though! Probably the leather. And the secondhand, weestained clothes.

Originally posted by coopster1974

Well I was kinda hoping for info into the background behind it. The occult and vampires have been mentioned so I assume the roots are from there.

Doesnt explain why they smell though! Probably the leather. And the secondhand, weestained clothes.

Funnily enough not all goths are actually into vampires. Nor do they all smell of wee!

hope this helps.

I wouldnt feel antagonised by a large group of Goths as much as I would a large group of chavs.

However, the clothes are exceedingly difficult to find/expensive in my experience :P

Where do the goths on here 'shop' ?

Having watched last nights Coronation Street, I'm in a quandry.

What exactly is a goth? Whats the crack?

Is it about individualism? If so why do they all look alike?

Or is it a fashion of a goth to look like a dishevelled corpse?

Can anyone enlighten me?

This all seems a little harsh / bitter, did your Goth girlfriend just dump you or something ?

Originally posted by foo_fighter

This all seems a little harsh / bitter, did your Goth girlfriend just dump you or something ?

Shhhhh the wife will hear you!!!

Maybe I've not come across a wider selection as I should have but the ones I have had the misfortune to stand behind in bus queues, shops have stunk to high heaven, hair & clothes.

Just wanted to know if personal hygiene (or lack of) was part of the get-up.

BTW - your right about the lack of aggressiveness. They may smell (some of them) but the ones I've come across have said please and thankyou.

Archived