Foods you ate as a kid and now miss

I used to love the cheese croquettes we had at school, yummy?

I used to love biscuits called Rondellos - every time I've mentioned these to people no one seems to remember them. They were gorgeous.

Anyone remember Spanish Gold....................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I loved Dried egg powder instead of real eggs, probably a thing I got used to during the war when eggs were rationed.

If I have an egg now I prefer it to be smashed and cremated both sides.

I know you can still buy the powder but it is expensive.

If you take flat noodles and cook them in hot fat they blow up like the prawn crackers you get from the chinese. Hay Presto Nibbets

Quite right, though Nibb-its (which were described on the packet as "cheese straws") were long, narrow and a bit curly. They must have been one of the first "snack foods" to be sold apart from ordinary crisps. A bit of googling came up with this picture http://www.tastyisland.net/images/nibbits_pkg.jpg which shows present-day Nibbits made in Hawaii; they look pretty much the same in shape.

My mum's hash on Ash Wednesday. We never had the heart to tell her that there was an "h" in hash, and so every year on the day after Pancake Day we would enjoy mum's 'ash (done in the biggest saucepan with stewing meat, spuds, carrots, onions, pearl barley ... and anointed with Henderson's relish, of course). Dad once put some Vencat curry powder on his hash, and got a black look from mum.

we too had 'ash on 'ash wednesday though looking back it had very little meat in it! good with henderson's relish and on pancakes too...by the way does anybody remember "halfpenny ducks" ( apenee ) you could get from the butchers? a sort of faggot I think, eaten cold. And we also had scraps from the butcher which were like pork scratchings but softer, yeuk.....

we too had 'ash on 'ash wednesday though looking back it had very little meat in it! good with henderson's relish and on pancakes too...by the way does anybody remember "halfpenny ducks" ( apenee ) you could get from the butchers? a sort of faggot I think, eaten cold. And we also had scraps from the butcher which were like pork scratchings but softer, yeuk.....

Oh - apenee ducks... You would see them in the window of Kelsey's or Funk's pork shops in Hillsborough. I think that by the time I began window-shopping (mid-1950s) inflation had taken its toll and they cost a penny, but they were delicious. Yes - something like faggots or haslet. And scraps - no doubt full of cholesterol but what the hell...

Bought some 'Ape'ny Ducks' last Monday from Dalefood Farm Products in the Fish & Meat Market.

I could never remember when they cost an Ape'ny but these cost 69 pence each, just couldn't resist the temptation whilst I'm back in Sheffield.

Archived