Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

Anybody used to work there? :)

I was an all night shelf-filler for about a year (Wed, Thurs, Fri nights) about 1973/4. There were about 12 of us on the shift. Dave the supervisor, Geoff, Bill (I think), Magic Tony, Jerry the jazz pianist, Mick and a few others. We used to have a lovely "lunch" in the middle of the night with Hillards finest produce for about 12p each! Also, I remember a few cage races around the aisles. Also there was a conveyor belt with metal rollers to bring stuff up from the basement warehouse that we used to abuse dreadfully.. I remember one time when Magic Tony brought in his full kids magic show and gave us a show (maybe at Christmas I'm not sure) he was so funny.. A great time of my life that. I was 19 then!!!

• 8 months later...
I remember Hillards, i also seem to recall a supermarket before that at Manor Top, here go's with a guess of what it was called, New World ? anyone agree?

New World was on Wortley Road near Kimberworth. There was a night club next door where "comedian" Norman ( swingin/ dodgy) Vaughn went down like a lead balloon and vowed never to work in the area again. He was sorely missed (not).

So where was Hillards then, I moved to Sheffield Lane Top in 1951/52 and I remember the Rendezvous, any takes on that then and whee is my old mucker Malcolm Cook from Elm Lane???

Down Barnsley Road, towards Eccelsfield, just past the old Vogue Cinema.