Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

Shopped at Hillards for years, my parents lived on Deerlands Avenue and I married and moved to Nether Edge but still shopped at Hillards on the way tov visit my parents,things were or seemed a lot cheaper than the CO OP who were the the sort of supermarket at the time.

I remember Hillards, i also seem to recall a supermarket before that at Manor Top, here go's with a guess of what it was called, New World ? anyone agree?

Didn`t New World used to be in rotherham on upper wortley road where the skating rink is?

The cinema above hillards had a few names. I can remember it being the Classic and the asoldo (sp)

Hi spudgun

It was the Essoldo, and by the time Hillards appeared it was a carpet warehouse I think, like a lot of old cinemas.

• 1 year later...

The picture palace at Lane top was always Essoldo until it turned into a bingo hall run by Nobles and the carpet shop is still there. In answer to a previous question Rendezvous was a newsagent right at lane top next to where Netto is and Hillards was further down just below bus terminus. The building is just as it was then but it's now Job Lot and the shop part is in the bottom section which when it was Hillards was the dry goods and used to sell garden products, wallpaper etc. I and my ex-sister in law worked there and the Manager was called Tony I think and I believe he had a nervous breakdown after losing his gran who he was very close to.. My next door neighbour , Madge Glynn, now sadly no longer with us, used to be the cook in the canteen:)

Edited by denlin

The picture palace at Lane top was always Essoldo until it turned into a bingo hall run by Nobles and the carpet shop is still there. In answer to a previous question Rendezvous was a newsagent right at lane top next to where Netto is and Hillards was further down just below bus terminus. The building is just as it was then but it's now Job Lot and the shop part is in the bottom section which when it was Hillards was the dry goods and used to sell garden products, wallpaper etc. I and my ex-sister in law worked there and the Manager was called Tony I think and I believe he had a nervous breakdown after losing his gran who he was very close to.. My next door neighbour , Madge Glynn, now sadly no longer with us, used to be the cook in the canteen:)

When built just before the war the cinema was called the Capital,saw Pinnochio, Lassy come Home & the Four Feathers there. The films then changed twice a week, monday to wednesday, then thursday, friday & saturday. When sundays cinema shows were allowed it was a seperate programme, not that we cared , we used to meet the girls in the queue.

You're right about cinema, when we were kids we always used to call it 'the cap' and I used to go there most Saturday afternoons in the early sixties when I was about 11 or 12. Hillards wasn't there then it was just fields and bushes. We used to clamber up there and walk along the top.:D

I remember on Saturday afternoons when there used to be games on the stage partway through the aaternoon film and we also used to have sing alongs to songs which came up on the screen oh happy days, 6d downstairs and 1/- upstairs. A friend of mines sister was an usherette who used to let us in through the side door once the films had started.