Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

I think Hillards was after my time as I don't remember there being a supermarket up there. I went to St Patricks school and the whole school went to the pictures there to watch the Queens coronation

Anybody used to work there? :)

I was an all night shelf-filler for about a year (Wed, Thurs, Fri nights) about 1973/4. There were about 12 of us on the shift. Dave the supervisor, Geoff, Bill (I think), Magic Tony, Jerry the jazz pianist, Mick and a few others. We used to have a lovely "lunch" in the middle of the night with Hillards finest produce for about 12p each! Also, I remember a few cage races around the aisles. Also there was a conveyor belt with metal rollers to bring stuff up from the basement warehouse that we used to abuse dreadfully.. I remember one time when Magic Tony brought in his full kids magic show and gave us a show (maybe at Christmas I'm not sure) he was so funny.. A great time of my life that. I was 19 then!!!

my son worked there,andrew o'brien also there was craig barnes and chris sansom

Yes I remember the Caravan Sales and shop. In the eighties when my niece was about 10 I took her to town and on the way back we passed the caravans and she turned to me and said 'Did they have caravans in your day Auntie Linda?' I WAS IN MY EARLY THIRTIES:confused:

• 2 years later...
The picture palace at Lane top was always Essoldo until it turned into a bingo hall run by Nobles and the carpet shop is still there. In answer to a previous question Rendezvous was a newsagent right at lane top next to where Netto is and Hillards was further down just below bus terminus. The building is just as it was then but it's now Job Lot and the shop part is in the bottom section which when it was Hillards was the dry goods and used to sell garden products, wallpaper etc. I and my ex-sister in law worked there and the Manager was called Tony I think and I believe he had a nervous breakdown after losing his gran who he was very close to.. My next door neighbour , Madge Glynn, now sadly no longer with us, used to be the cook in the canteen:)

I used to work in the non foods section of Hillards and remember Tony and Madge. I think Mandge used to live just accross the road from the drive into Hillards. If it's the same person I'm thinking of she had a dauhgter who was a Red Coat at a holiday camp?

I worked at Hillards in 1975 as a student (from a 6th form) then as a permanent on nights from 1976 to October 1977. Night manager was Dave Cook and assistant manager Steve something, top manager was Selwyn something, maybe Dyson but not sure. Upstairs (top of ramp) was food hall and downstairs (bottom of ramp) was non foods.