Hillards Supermarket, Sheffield Lane Top

• 2 months later...

brill thread

my grans house backed on to hillards and we watched it being built in 1970 and used to play on the building site after the builders had finished till the night watch man came and chased us off

we had the morning off school for the gran opening which was early 1971....spent many many hours in the library and just playing round there.....was 10 when it opened and was one of the biggest supermarkets of the time ... so was a privilege having it as your corner shop so to speak lol

before that it was just spare ground and like Denlin we used to walk that embankment, our name for it was 'the way' I don't know why lol

Saturday afternoon at the essoldo was a ritual....kids matinee 3d to get in :)

75 and 76 bus terminus where we would catch the bus down to firth park to the bowling alley or park

oh happy days and memories :)

I used to work in the non foods section of Hillards and remember Tony and Madge. I think Mandge used to live just accross the road from the drive into Hillards. If it's the same person I'm thinking of she had a dauhgter who was a Red Coat at a holiday camp?

Madge was my next door neighbour for about 30 years and her husband was Irish, they spent a lot of time at St Pats bur as far as I know they never lived across from the drive in Hillards, daughters were Pat, Anita and Michelle

• 8 months later...

I worked at Hillards from 1973 to 1984 I was Dave Cooks assistant manager Steve Martin when I started Mr churches was the general manager then many followed him. It would be nice to know who some of you are. I remember loads of people. I was 20 when I started now 62.A few are now dead. Be nice to know if Dave cook is still alive he was a bit older than me.

I worked at Hillards from 1973 to 1984 I was Dave Cooks assistant manager Steve Martin when I started Mr churches was the general manager then many followed him. It would be nice to know who some of you are. I remember loads of people. I was 20 when I started now 62.A few are now dead. Be nice to know if Dave cook is still alive he was a bit older than me.

I worked in the butchery dept,about 1979 to 86 so we must have met at some point.:)

New World was on Wortley Road near Kimberworth. There was a night club next door where "comedian" Norman ( swingin/ dodgy) Vaughn went down like a lead balloon and vowed never to work in the area again. He was sorely missed (not).

I was in the audience the week Norman Vaughn appeared you were dead right about his reception he didn,t get a single laugh all the way through his performance!.It was excruciatingly embarrassing to witness,although I have got to say the audience there was very tough and hard to please!.On several visits lots of performers received the same treatment,the nightclub had a new gimmick a swimming pool,you could have a swim before you went in for a few drinks later!.All the times I went the only performer who went down well with that hard to please audience was Kenny Lynch!.

Edited by old tup
Wrong singer name!

Hi, I have just discovered this forum. My dad, Barrie Littlewood, used to manage the Rendezvous for many years! I lived there till we moved to Nottingham in the mid 60's I can remember he used to hold model making competitions with Airfix type models and lots of lads and dads would make and paint model planes etc and bring them to be judged. There was a coffee bar in the back too, I was always fasinated by the glass jugs bubbling away as a kid.

I remember a tram terminus across the road and the Essoldo Cinema too. happy days!

The cinema started its life as The Capitol in 1939. It had only been open a couple of weeks or so when the government closed all cinemas and theatres because of the start of the second world war. Essoldo bought The Capitol. The Forum and Ecclesfield Cinema House from Gleesons around 1948, who would only sell all three as a package, or none at all.