Where's the Gay Scene?

mark84

Originally posted by Hels

:clap:

I was there on Friday night but was inside by 11.30 so didn't see anything in the lobby.

Had a fab night, met some lovely people.

There was a bit of a scuffle last month because a guy pushed a girl and when she said something he hit her (?) She was a pretty tall girl who hit back, that was about it really.

You didn't see me and Peter strutting our funky stuff then Hels? :D

K x

Originally posted by Hels

:clap:

I was there on Friday night but was inside by 11.30 so didn't see anything in the lobby.

Had a fab night, met some lovely people.

There was a bit of a scuffle last month because a guy pushed a girl and when she said something he hit her (?) She was a pretty tall girl who hit back, that was about it really.

Was she blonde?

Originally posted by Kristian

Did you go to the rescue again DaB? :D You'll be getting a medal on 'Hearts of Gold' if you're not careful! ;)

K x

Macho macho.. I want to be a macho man :P

Nah it sounds like the fight I split up last month.

Originally posted by Kristian

I would just love it if there was one nice decent gay bar in the city on a nightly basis!

I was in Manchester last week and the gay scene was fab and on such a different level.

How can it be so different in a city only 50 miles away?

K x

I rarely bother with the gay scene in Sheffield anymore. Not when Manchester is so close (Kristian - it's only 40 miles away, or 1 hour in the car over the Snake). My partner and I make the trip periodically on a Sat night (and always for Mardi Gras of course!).

However, Canal Street is unique. Sheffield could not hope to offer a similar gay scene. Indeed, the history of the gay scene in Sheffield has been one of competition between venues instead of co-operation. That's where Manchester scores (also Hull of late) - because they offer different niche venues, and celebrate the variety of what they have to offer us punters.

Sheffield's gay scene is mostly dire. Haven't set foot in Dempseys - but it doesn't look that appealing from the outside, and a door charge to get in? What's that all about? Sounds like a penalty tax just for being gay!

Originally posted by muddycoffee

My friend is working with a lesbian woman who would like to meet feminine type gay females. She has been to Dempseys but didn't like it. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks MC

Have a look at the first post and take your pick from the list of venues I posted up :D

• 2 weeks later...

What's VIP at Takapuna like these days?

I've only been once, one Thursday in Feb. Cool venue and music but it was very quiet.

It only seemed slightly busy from about 10-11pm then it quickly went very quiet and lacked an atmosphere which kind of puts me of going again.

I'd be intrested to know if it's picked up at all since then.

Originally posted by skyfitsboy

What's VIP at Takapuna like these days?

I've only been once, one Thursday in Feb. Cool venue and music but it was very quiet.

It only seemed slightly busy from about 10-11pm then it quickly went very quiet and lacked an atmosphere which kind of puts me of going again.

I'd be intrested to know if it's picked up at all since then.

Did you know they got an extended licence? Open to 02:30 now! PM DaBouncer for details! Apparrently it was heaving in there most of the night last week!

K x

Archived