Are you related to John William Green?

Are you related to John William Green, who was believed to have married Florence Smith (second wife)? John William Green was my grandfather, and was in the Durham Light Infantry, possibly in the first world war. His first wife was Bertha Kempton who died in childbirth. He was later believed to have married Florence Smith and supposedly had a son called George. I am trying to work on my family tree but without any dates or anything to go on, I'm stuck. Maybe you are related to me? Is there anyone in SF land who knew them please? :confused:

As far as I am aware, John William Green was born around 1893. I assume it was in the Durham area as he was in the Durham Light Infantry.(He did have a geordie acent!) He married Bertha Kempton in 1920, and she died in 1929. It was after this that he married Florence Smith. I heard that they had a son called George. I know that John Green was still alive in the late 60s or early 70s. He was my grandad, and I would love any info anyone has about him. I hope this helps.

There are about 10 John W. Green of the Durham Light Infantry that I can see but, no way of knowing which is yours.

You need to purchase the marriage certificate of John and Bertha Kempton as suggested, this will give you his age, father's name and occupation which is the best place to start.

There is a birth registered for a John William Green in June 1894 in Guisborough (which is north east) but, not much point in checking that out until you have more concrete information from his marriage certificate. When you have that, people can look to see where his family was on the preceeding censuses.

In the meantime, if he had connections to Sheffield then you may be lucky that someone on here will pick up your posting.

Hope this helps.

Archived