BBC Radio Sheffield

4 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The loss of Gerry Kersey and Phil Butler, in 'The Cuts', has certainly reduced the programmes worthy of regular listenership.

Agree totally with Gerry  Kersey.  one positive  got rid of Rony and a big negative still stuck with Paulette Edwards theres got to be better out there.  

I bailed on Sheffield long back. It didn't suit my needs.

When I used to commute to Doncaster daily for work I'd have Toby on. He made me laugh. Now, years later, I find him abrasive. It's the nature of his show. If he disagrees with someone, he'll pull them apart. What he won't do is try to see any merits in their opinion. That's not a good interviewing technique. That's bullying.

As for the rest of Sheffield, just who is their target audience? The music they play throughout the day tends to be bland. There's nothing challenging, nothing out of their perceived demographic's comfort zone. Mumsy is a term that could be applied to many of their presenters, male & female.

Think I mentioned a dozen or so pages back that I still listen in a morning occasionally. If any of the class want to talk about local topics, it helps me prepare on pertinent issues. But even that info I could gain from Look North.

If it wasn't for the Praise Or Grumble football aspects on a Saturday tea-time, I doubt I'd turn it on at all. I used to love Radio Sheffield. Now I feel I've just outgrown it.

I used to like Toby, I probably still do, but I don't listen to him anymore.... the whole radio station has become stale and safe, nothing new.
The only time i listen now is if we have some kind of weather crisis on, floods, snow, locust invasion etc.

It used to be  permanently on in my car, now I prefer to flick between 5  Live and my MP3 player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 09:40, wearysmith said:

I bailed on Sheffield long back. It didn't suit my needs.

When I used to commute to Doncaster daily for work I'd have Toby on. He made me laugh. Now, years later, I find him abrasive. It's the nature of his show. If he disagrees with someone, he'll pull them apart. What he won't do is try to see any merits in their opinion. That's not a good interviewing technique. That's bullying.

The two things about Toby's show that nobody seems to understand are:

1) Toby is a comedian and professional wind-up merchant. Yes, he's abrasive and it's all part of the act.  I've howled with laughter and cringed with embarrassment when he's tying some bigoted windbag up in knots who didn't bother to do their homework.

Here's a perfect example of him taking on former Doncaster Mayor, Peter Davies of the English Democracts.

It was such a trainwreck of an interview, somebody kindly made it available for your listening pleasure.

Listen and enjoy:

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/admiralty/episodes/2009-06-11T11_47_27-07_00

2) Toby's show covers current events in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire.  If his show is boring, then that is because living in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire is boring.  It's a little unfair to criticise Radio Sheffield for that.

You want Toby's show to be more interesting?  Then MAKE IT more interesting by contributing to civic life in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. 

Edited by The Joker
Added URL