BBC Radio Sheffield

How much longer can legalised theft go on, there are that many TV and radio stations out there why should we be forced to subscribe to something we may never use.

good point,as licence payers though,we are subscribing to an organisation that offers variety for all tastes.and contributing to other peoples enjoyment as well as our own.

Very good :roll: ……………. But I was talking about news coverage which I would imagine is a very small proportion of the overall budget.

I was just pointing out that you're not being forced to subscribe to a service you never use, since you clearly have used it.

The cuts if there are to be any will likely be due to a drop in listeners and having listened to a variety of local stations I can see why the audience are disappearing. Too many programmes have gone the same way as childrens TV in as much as the presenters are ridiculous, the subject matter of their attempted humour is drawn and banal, all in all it's mind numbingly boring.

Personally I would cut the ridiculous amount of foreign correspondents the BBC employ and also scrap the World Service.

I disagree, their foreign correspondents are excellent, what I find annoying with both BBC radio and TV is their habit of sending some overpaid presenter to some faraway place in the news to stand and spout platitudes, or information supplied by the local correspondent, when that person is in the same place and quite capable of presenting it him/her self.

The classic one was James Naughtie in Japan, talking about the tsunami, and interviewing the local correspondent who was in another part of the same town.

what I find annoying with both BBC radio and TV is their habit of sending some overpaid presenter to some faraway place in the news to stand and spout platitudes, or information supplied by the local correspondent, when that person is in the same place and quite capable of presenting it him/her self.

I agree with that. BBC Breakfast often sends their presenters far and wide to present the weather and in the end it still involves the computer map in the studio.

That's because it doesn't really serve any useful purpose any more.

I disagree , when there is a local station people tune into find out about weather , traffic and whats happening locally , this can't be done with a national station.

Here is why you should be angry about the BBC. They throw money about among their management but cut 2000 low paid people and local services..

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046636/MPs-paid-thousands-appear-BBC-As-Corporation-cuts-politicians-given-licence-fee-cash-TV-radio.html

The BBC was dragged into a fresh row over ‘non-jobs’ last night following a senior executive’s admission she has no idea what a £58,000-a-year Decision Support Analyst ‘actually does’.

Chief operating officer Caroline Thomson was asked on air why the Corporation was still advertising a vacancy for the highly paid post after announcing cuts that will mean 2,000 redundancies.

Appearing flustered, the executive – who earned £385,000 last year – tried to defend the move by saying the BBC needed ‘good managers’ but then conceded: ‘I don’t know what that person actually does.’

Miss Thomson’s comments have angered rank-and-file staff in core areas such as journalism and documentary making who face job losses and earn far less than £58,000 a year.

And critics point out that, despite pulling millions of pounds from its programming budget, the corporation is still recruiting for its army of advisers and strategists.

Among jobs the BBC is currently or has recently advertised are a ‘Deputy Head – High Risk’, an ‘Accountability Assistant’, two ‘Thematic Advisers’, one for governance and one for health, and a range of diversity advisers.

Miss Thomson’s candid admission, on Newsnight on Thursday, comes despite claims by the corporation last year that it was banning baffling job titles

I disagree, their foreign correspondents are excellent, what I find annoying with both BBC radio and TV is their habit of sending some overpaid presenter to some faraway place in the news to stand and spout platitudes, or information supplied by the local correspondent, when that person is in the same place and quite capable of presenting it him/her self.

The classic one was James Naughtie in Japan, talking about the tsunami, and interviewing the local correspondent who was in another part of the same town.

They've also started having the recently flown out presenter interviewing someone who is back in the UK, with all the time delays and general confusion. Meanwhile, they keep someone based in the UK studio.