Buena Vista Social Club

just got home from a wonderful night at city hall watching / hearing the Buena Vista Social Club, so good it moved me to tears.

Anyone else go? What did you reckon?

I would imagine a number of people who were there are still there, sadly i gotta go to bed the day before i gotta get up to go to work...

oh well, too late

I thought it was fantastic - I saw them last May in Cuba and they were as good as i remembered...went with my OH and friend who hadn't seen them before and they were blown away.

Saw the band heading towards Cubana at about 11 - we'd just been for a drink - the trumpet guy with white cap, and the double bass player were walking along Leopold St!

Fantastic and worth every penny!

I thought it was fantastic - I saw them last May in Cuba and they were as good as i remembered...went with my OH and friend who hadn't seen them before and they were blown away.

Saw the band heading towards Cubana at about 11 - we'd just been for a drink - the trumpet guy with white cap, and the double bass player were walking along Leopold St!

Fantastic and worth every penny!

they certainly were value for money - on stage for nearly 2 hours. and yep, they were fantastic while on stage.

they did head for cubana, yep. me and my friends headed that way, but it was already packed, so we sat outside the dog and partridge. we could hear the trumpet player from there!

very memorable night

ive never been to see them, but own some of their stuff... is the old singer guy dead now?

Sadly almost everyone impotrtant on the film is now dead. Especially the stars.

Ibrahim Ferrer (singer) died in 2005, Compay Segundo (guitarist) died at 91 in 2003 and Ruben Gonzales ( piano) died in 2003

The most important thing though is that they helped to revitalise cuban music and what you might see now on these shows are people who knew them and played with them hopefully their spirit lives on.

Juan De Marcos, who you might remember as a conductor in the film is now one of the most important characters remaining from the film. He is a younger man relatively and his band the Afro Caribbean All stars, are more reprsentative of working music in cuba today. Buena Vista Social Club film in my view was really about Juan De Marcos, it is just that they needed Ry Cooder to be a famous star in the role of the film, and his influence to get the interest of the English speaking world.

Juan was the one who actually started digging and finding the old guys to make an album and film before they were all gone, he was born in cuba but he moved to be an academic in a London university where he met Ry Cooder and persuaded him and his influence to help him with the revival of Cuban music.

They did a great job and I take my hat off to both of them.

Archived