The plough inn in sandygate

Hi Joy - we have emailed each other about this before, and there is another thread on the Plough Inn elsewhere on Sheffieldforum, though not about its history particularly. There is certainly a huge sporting heritage at the pub.

This is some of what I wrote last time ... and thanks to the Sheffield sport historian Dennis Clareborough for some of the research.

My own connection is through my great grand-uncle Edwin Stephenson, known as Merry Ned for reasons that will become clear. He was the first Yorkshire wicket-keeper, played in the first official Yorks/Lancs match, and in 1864 he travelled by sailing ship on the first overseas trip to Australia to play for England in Melbourne. A Sharrow lad (he ran a cricket ball and tobacconists shop in Bramall Lane), in 1872 he was given the honour of a testimonial at the Roses match at the Bramall Lane ground.

Cricketers at the time were well known for their drinking and cricket anthologies of the time refer to him propping up the bar and singing loud songs in his home from home - the old Plough. Eventually he was consigned to an asylum in Liverpool for inebriates where he died in 1896.

Archived