'Adventure' comic, anyone?

I read somewhere last week that someone is publishing a new kids' comic. It seems that there aren't many around nowadays. I suppose it's a good thing, gets kids to read.

But it got me thinking about the comics available back in the 40's, when I used to read them myself.

The only ones I can truly remember with any semblance of clarity are ' Beano', 'Dandy', 'Chips', 'Comic Cuts', 'Rover', 'Hotspur','Champion', 'Film Fun', and 'Radio Fun'. There was another one, 'Adventure' but I cant remember any of the characters in it.

The one most clear was Rockfist Rogan in the 'Champion', with his Chinese/Mongolian sidekick, who had this reinforced cricket bat which he called a 'Clicky Ba'. Needless to say he used it, not to play cricket, but as a weapon. He( Rockfist Rogan, that is), had a regular adversary called King Sharples who grew his fingernails long and sharpened them up to cut people with. The big tart. Then there was Wilson, in his black woolen one piece running gear, and Alf Tupper who trained on fish and chips, and slept under a railway arch,(the only ones I knew were at Neepsend),and Big Eggo' on the front of the 'Beano', Korky the Cat' on the 'Dandy', unforgetable really, but I'm damned if I can remember the 'Adventure'.

I suppose I could Google for information but that would be cheating. So what characters and stories did the 'Adventure' have?

I remember around 1950 taking the Adventure and Wizard on a Tuesday and the Rover and Hotspur on a Thursday. I remember Wilson but one of my favourite characters was Baldy Hogan, now there was a football player, I wish he played for the Blades right now. How much were the comics? I would think about 3d. but they were full of reading and would pass an evening on quite well, no TV then ~ ah! Happy Days.

I remember around 1950 taking the Adventure and Wizard on a Tuesday and the Rover and Hotspur on a Thursday. I remember Wilson but one of my favourite characters was Baldy Hogan, now there was a football player, I wish he played for the Blades right now. How much were the comics? I would think about 3d. but they were full of reading and would pass an evening on quite well, no TV then ~ ah! Happy Days.

That's one I'd forgotten sharrovian, 'The Wizard'.

How much were the comics? I would think about 3d. ...

Yes - they cost 3d. - see for example http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Rover2161958.jpg

The Dandy and Beano (on Tuesday and Thursday respectively) were cheaper at 2d., while the Topper and Beezer cost 3d. I think the Eagle was 4d but that was on glossy paper...

I digress Hillsboro but is V. Molotov the guy who formulated the Bloody Mary or some other cocktail?

Does anyone remember the B.O.P. the Boys Own Paper? I bought a few from Patnicks stall in a job lot, they were like a tabloid originally, but then in the 40's they'd gone up market in format and were like a little magazine. It was expensive, about a shilling I think.

Archived