Looking for decent grub near M1

My dad wants to stop by for lunch on his way past Sheffield in a couple of weeks' time. He doesn't want to get jammed up in Sheffield traffic, so we're trying to find somewhere we can meet that's near the M1 (either end), and has decent gastro-pub style food (not ritzy or expensive, but better than scampi and chips). I can't seem to find anything good on all my google searches, so I was hoping someone might have a suggestion...? I don't know the north and east sides of Sheffield very well... Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Tankersley Manor Junc. 36 If travelling North left off M1, about Half a mile on left.

or Brooklands Junc 37 turn left Half a mile on left.

Or Akbahs (spelling) Meadowbank rd. Head towards Rotherham from North side of Viaduct Behind Meadowhall.

You could try the Hardwick Inn, follow signs from M1 J29 Chesterfield to Hardwick Hall. It's about 10 mins off the motorway and is a wonderful old historic inn in a lovely setting. They do food - I haven't eaten there for some time but it used to be decent.

I'd also endorse Tankersley Manor at J36. And, I'd suggest a detour to the village of Wentworth, J35 via Thorpe Hesley, or J36 via Harley, is well worth a visit. 2 pubs, George & Dragon and Rockingham Arms, both serving good food in nice setting. George especially good value and quality and lots of great beers on tap too. (Nice big garden at back for the kids - and excellent wine merchant in pub yard selling top class wines at reasonable prices).

Archived