Real Ale Pubs: Recommendations Required

Carmine

Cricketers Arms on Bramall Lane, opposite SUFC ground

Under new owner - Malcolm formerly of Hatfield Commonside and Portuguese Blades Bar

Has a Kelham Island beer called Red n White Wizards (4% abv)

Old Crown at Handsworth has regular guest beers and they've started a good quiz on Tuesday night from 9:30pm

Cross Keys next door also sell real ale

Blake Hotel in Walkley - run by the same people who run the Sheaf in Heeley. Excellent value for money and ever changing line up of ales apart from the regular Farmers Blonde at £2 a pint.

This is my new favourite pub!

The Gate Inn at Troway (down the lane at the side of the old Blackamoor (Inn@Troway), cask Theakstons and two Guests. Last week was Summer Lightning and Sharpes Doombar. No piped music, no gaming machines, just a proper country pub with open log fires in the colder months!

I used to be a regular at The Gate. However after being a loyal customer for many years I was served a bad pint. The reaction to quietly returning the beer to the bar was for our entire party to be ejected from the pub and told not to come back. There is more to serving real ale than keeping a good pint. There is the attitude to what happens when one day someone gets a pint from the bottom of the barrel. The pub fell well short of what is acceptable.

I used to be a regular at The Gate. However after being a loyal customer for many years I was served a bad pint. The reaction to quietly returning the beer to the bar was for our entire party to be ejected from the pub and told not to come back. There is more to serving real ale than keeping a good pint. There is the attitude to what happens when one day someone gets a pint from the bottom of the barrel. The pub fell well short of what is acceptable.

Unbelievable.

Without hearing the other side of the story I'm loth to comment but if true that pub deserves to fail.

Never tried The Bath, can't get friends to go there...they seem afraid of it being full of old men with flatcaps and whippets.

My fave! Sheaf View is another belter and White Lion nearby is tidy too. Rutland is good and I like the food.

The Hearty Oak at Dronfield woodhouse currently has Abbeydale Brewery Moonshine and Brimstone however the pub has additionally joined forces with Raw Brewery Chesterfield for a mini Beer Festival on 29th Aug Bank Holiday monday to add up to 5 more unusual and unique real ales and ciders including Pacific Ghost and continue thereafter with an extensive choice of ever changing guest ales.

So far at the festival

Raw Brewery

Dark Peak stout

Pacific Ghost a special edition New Zealand hop version of grey Ghost

Muirhouse Brewery - Ruby Jewel- award winning ruby ale bitter

Dancing Duck Brewery - "AYe Up"

also a new ale from elland brewery

Also rare perry - malvern Hills

and a millwhite rioja cask cider

Archived