Real Ale Pubs: Recommendations Required

Carmine

The Rising Sun on Fulwood Road has a bar lined with real ales, last night I had a couple of halves of Deception, but there was also Daily Bread, Moonshine IPA and a multitude of others, we were truely spoilt for choice.

Great beer, depressing surroudings

Great beer, depressing surroudings

Agree with you on this but always busy busy which means the owners wont bother to spend anything as they probably figure they will never get it back anyway and wont be much busier as a result...

Plus the Abbeydale brewery lot are an odd bunch probably at their happiest sitting on a haybale listening to folk music...

Still, better than before they took it on - was a haven for drugdealing and always very empty.

The Thornbridge mob seem to have a better handle on things and have just reopened up the Hallamshire House at commonside which looks good...

http://www.myhallamshire.co.uk/

If you don't mind an hour's drive then go to the Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton in Derbyshire. It's unbelievable, like stepping back in time 100 years. All the beer is in barrels at the back of the bar and the place can't have been refurbished in decades.

It's really a special place -

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/national-inventory-entry.asp?pubid=17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/3322787/Pint-to-pint-The-Barley-Mow.html

I'm going to get shot down quite spectacularly here but I do have praise for how weatherspoons have been tapping local ales and a good selection to boot. I visit the francis newton on clarkehouse road quite a bit and I'm constantly impressed with the range and price of the real ales available.

Usually £2 to £2.50 per pint.

Wetherspoons are what they are. I`ll drink there but know that, if I get a good pint, to stick with it. Plenty of their stuff must be very near the use by date imo. Don`t mind the Swim or Newton and, as a CAMRA man, the vouchers to use there mean a pint for £1.50!

If you don't mind an hour's drive then go to the Barley Mow in Kirk Ireton in Derbyshire. It's unbelievable, like stepping back in time 100 years. All the beer is in barrels at the back of the bar and the place can't have been refurbished in decades.

It's really a special place -

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/national-inventory-entry.asp?pubid=17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/pubs/3322787/Pint-to-pint-The-Barley-Mow.html

Agree. But do you think many Sheffielder's would venture this far into the unknown? You've pleasantly amazed me with this suggestion btw. I never thought I'd ever see any reference to a place like this on here.

called in penny black sat first time for years ruddles chilled 1.59 a pint good smooth drink,3 tellies with sky on.will be calling again

Real ale pubs I would suggest - around Sheffield...(not including the ones you said not to include)

Sheffield Brewery Tap @ railway station - excellent for beers - terrible for wine or customer focus

Rutland (near to station) - dusty old traditional pub - small number of well kept real ales

Blake House (Walkley/upperthorpe) - excellent changing range of ales in smartly renovated pub with outside seating as well.

Sheaf View (Heeley) Not "Sheaf House" on brammal lane! - the best in Sheff imo for sheer range and quality of ales

Then out of town...

Coach & Horses, Dronfield - Thornbridge pub - beer always excellent quality - but rarely has anything other than Thornbridge on handpump

3 Tuns, Dronfield. Spire brewery - plus others. Good range of beers and other drinks as well. Shame that all the handpumps are faulty and end up producing a thin frothy head on the beer.

Dronfield Arms - Dronfield. Not the most inspiring pub to sit in tbh - bit long and narrow - but small number of real ales and good range of drinks in general.

Rising Sun Fulwood - a bit heavy on the Abbeydale brews - awful wine - best beer festival in Sheff when it's on.

Cricket Inn Totley Bents - Thornbridge plus decent food in very nice surroundings - ridiculously expensive.

Nags Head Loxley - Bradfield Brewery tap - best value for money in Sheffield. Excellent beer - good range and £1.95 a pint. Plus good cheap bar food as well.

Greystones - another Thornbridge emporium - big pub with music room.

Rutland - Chesterfield - just thought I'd throw this one in in case anyone finds themselves in the town of the crooked spire. This pub is right next to it and has half a dozen excellent real ales and good cheap bar food.

if you're venturing to the Barley Mow, take my advice and make it a Sunday - then head off to the Bear at Alderwasley after that for the best carvery lunch within a 50 mile radius of here. It's maybe 15 mins drive from Kirk Ireton. Back into Wirksworth and over the moor top.

Archived