Going to the outside Loo

Asaw

In the toilet block we had a row of about 10 the first one was at the side of ours belonged to the corner grocers shop and we use to find any wafes and strays in ours until we put the lock on it.

Hi Treatment, how you going?

Izal - maybe it was a cunning invention, by the manufacturers of Oxydol, Daz and OMO! I think that most kids of my generation walked about with 'stripey pants' or had the latest news plastered on their backsides.

Hi Leipzig how are tricks ?

On the subject of old stuff I was clearing out the Aladdin's cave laughingly known as my garage. I found an unopened tube of Ajax, which must be 40 years old. I had a crack with it on the gas cooker in my utility room which has previously laughed off my attempts with Mr Muscle etc.

The Ajax worked a treat; it now looks as white as Richard Hammond's teeth. God knows what is in it, but on the side it describes itself as ''Double Bleach'' scouring powder. :)

When I first got married we had an outside loo,but we had a poe to use at night when it was cold.Six years later we bought a new house at Dronfield.The last thing I did as the removals van left was toss that bloody poe onto the bombsite on the other side of the road!

I lived on Hinde House Lane, Page Hall from 1944 - 1968. We only had an outside loo and in the winter of 1955/56 this actually saved my dads life! Our fire in the lounge was coal with a back boiler for heating the water. One morning my dad went out to the loo to unfreeze the cistern. While he was there the back boiler blew up and demolished the opposite wall to the kitchen. If he had been in he would have been killed.

The real thing that upset me was that the Fire Brigade used the base board of my Hornby train set to block up the lounge window - I thought that was terrible !!

The good outcome was that the insurance paid for us to have an inside loo put in the bathroom. We also got famous via a piece in The Star about my dads lucky escape !

My nan used to live on Owlerton Green, its where KFC and Pizza Hut are now. She had an outside loo and it was a bit of a novelty for me and my brother to use her loo when we visited. I dont really remember having to run outside when it was raining or snowing though, perish the thought.

Lived on Duke St in Park, we were posher than most, we had a little paraffin light to try and stop it freezing in winter, never worked mind you. Used to get white washed every few months and constantly smelt of pine disinfectant.

Ok the next logical question to this ...... So who had a pot under the bed because it was too cold to go to the outside toilet?

It was funny because I remember my grandparent moving to a bungalow with all the inside mod cons but until the day they died still had a pot under the bed.

we used to live on clough road and our outside toilet used to be at the end of our yard with three other toilets.now if i remember right there was five of us next door they were three of them.at the end of the passage way that family had four .the other family i cant remember how many they had.the family,s were us SMITHS,BAXENDALES,GRIFFITH,S.can also remember cromford street being the same.

we lived on charlotte road and had the same lay out. sometimes tramps used to try to sleep in the toilet( not actually in the bowl of course ) so i used to hate going across the yard in the dark and gently pushing the door open hoping and praying no one was behind the door . If there was any resistance to the door opening i'd leg it as fast as i could to the back door . i'd never have a candle with me either as i hated seeing the spiders around me .

Archived