Going to the outside Loo

Asaw

What was the latest that anyone had an outside loo as their ONLY loo.

Having one inside as well doesn't count.

I'll start it off, 1979 in Mundella Place off Derbyshire Lane.

My dad's old house in City Rd. 1997! It had no bath either.

Hi All

But wasn,t there a keen sense of urgency with your pyjama bottoms around your ankles cos if you pulled them up the wind froze your ankles.

There was something intrigueing at 8 years old sat there with the wind whistling up the seat.And keeping a keen eye for spiders in the corners with the old bike lamp.

Or naybe its just me and my strange childhood.:hihi:"Outside Bogs and Sinkbaths"

Andy M

your aunt has an outside loo as her ONLY loo? in 2008? :o :o :o

Yes. and uses it except when the weather is particularly bad and the "bucket" takes over! The route is well "railed" and she has lived in the same house all her life and she has the help of a human angel. Her landlady wanted to put in a bathroom many years ago but my aunt said it was alright as it was and so it remains!

• 2 weeks later...

our house had a bathroom (bath and sink) but the toilet was outside across the yard. I always remember the dark winter nights. I was too scared to go on my own. either my sister had to come with me or my mam would stand on the kitchen doorstep and wait for me. oh and those massive spiders. I also remember having to go through the bathroom to get to the attic stairs. If anyone was in the bath and you wanted something from the attic, tough luck.

We used to live on Rydal Rd ,and directly above the loo there was a banking on there was a railway line so when the Master Cutler went passed ,you had to hold on to the loo seat with both hands lol

Spent a lot of time on Rydal Road at my friend's house over the years - what number did you live at?

I remember going to the outside toilet when I used to visit my grandad's house in Heeley in the 1960s and 1970s. We even had a chamber pot under the bed in case we got caught short during the night. I recently told my wife about this and she didn't believe me.

I remember going to the outside toilet when I used to visit my grandad's house in Heeley in the 1960s and 1970s. We even had a chamber pot under the bed in case we got caught short during the night. I recently told my wife about this and she didn't believe me.

most beds had a "guzunder" under! lol

I always thought that "loo" was a term used by Londoners. We used to call it the "lav," a cruder term being the "bog" (there were cruder terms but I won't post them). When we were being very polite we'd say "toilet." To return to the topic of the thread, we always had an indoor lav, but also had one off the back porch. As kids we were told to use that one during the day when we were outside playing. But I hated it as there were always spiders in there.

I always thought that "loo" was a term used by Londoners. We used to call it the "lav," ....

Yes, in Sheffield it was usually the "lav" - but "loo" has become popular in recent decades. When in America I'm still confused when people talk about a "bathroom" when there's no sign of a bath...

The house at Stannington where I was born was demolished in 1963; until then it didn't even have its own outside lav - it was shared with the family next door. And yes - there were plenty of spiders, and it used to freeze in winter so we'd put a small paraffin lamp near the cistern. As the OP wrote there were no toilet rolls, only the Daily Herald...

Yes, in Sheffield it was usually the "lav" - but "loo" has become popular in recent decades. When in America I'm still confused when people talk about a "bathroom" when there's no sign of a bath...

The house at Stannington where I was born was demolished in 1963; until then it didn't even have its own outside lav - it was shared with the family next door. And yes - there were plenty of spiders, and it used to freeze in winter so we'd put a small paraffin lamp near the cistern. As the OP wrote there were no toilet rolls, only the Daily Herald...

"Washroom" is the usual polite term here in Canada, beechnut. "Can," sometimes "John" are the slang terms. When I arrived here many yrs ago, I used to think it strange when people talked about going to the washroom, as back then in England washrooms had the connotation of a public bathing spot like the Glossop Rd baths or in olden days of communal facilities where people used to go to wash their clothes.

Archived