Chinese Laundry Memories.

Can anyone recollect if there was a Chinese laundry on Abbydale Road. I seem to remember it was in a line of shops on the right just before the Abbydale Cinema. I know there was one at Heeley Bottom, they put little colored tags on your laundry there. All this in the 50s.

Texa, I think the one on London Road/Chesterfield Road was Yun Bun's ... the grandfather of Bernard Yun who opened the Zing Vaa? If any of the Yun family are members on here, perhaps they can confirm/dispute that? I'd be really interested to know if I have that correct :)

When my mother had to have laundry hanging on the rack in the kitchen on a rainy day, my father used to say "It looks like Yun Bun's in here" with a cross look.

Can anyone recollect if there was a Chinese laundry on Abbydale Road. I seem to remember it was in a line of shops on the right just before the Abbydale Cinema. I know there was one at Heeley Bottom, they put little colored tags on your laundry there. All this in the 50s.

Hi Texas

The one on Abbeydale Road was the Kun Fung laundry, and it was located between Herchell Road and Farrar Road, just below where Moonlight Curtains are now. I used to be go to school with one of the owner's sons and went inside on a couple of occassions. All the finished laundry used to be wrapped into brown paper parcels for collection. When the laundry closed the shop became part of Richards Furniture premise for a lot of years.

Texa, I think the one on London Road/Chesterfield Road was Yun Bun's ... the grandfather of Bernard Yun who opened the Zing Vaa? If any of the Yun family are members on here, perhaps they can confirm/dispute that? I'd be really interested to know if I have that correct :)

When my mother had to have laundry hanging on the rack in the kitchen on a rainy day, my father used to say "It looks like Yun Bun's in here" with a cross look.

Yes,I too remember Yun Bun's Chinese laundry on Abbeydale road.This was as youngsters in the '30's. We'd go to try and see the Chinese people,quite unusual in those days.

Hi Texas

The one on Abbeydale Road was the Kun Fung laundry, and it was located between Herchell Road and Farrar Road, just below where Moonlight Curtains are now. I used to be go to school with one of the owner's sons and went inside on a couple of occassions. All the finished laundry used to be wrapped into brown paper parcels for collection. When the laundry closed the shop became part of Richards Furniture premise for a lot of years.

That's the one Leipzig, I used to take my laundry there when I was in a bed-sit in Nether Edge area. Not so happy days.

• 2 years later...
I used to take my detachable collars to one on Crookes "Extra Starch"

That's before Wollies started selling paper ones. :-)

My Mum used to take my Dads collars to the laundry on Middlewood Road for starching. Little did she suspect that almost 35 years later her little girl(me) would end up marrying the little lad who was starching those same collars in the back room to earn his his sixpence spending money working for his very , very hard working Mum and Dad.

I used to take my detachable collars to one on Crookes "Extra Starch"

That's before Wollies started selling paper ones. :-)

There was one on Crookes where the Dr. Barnardo's shop is now, the owner was murdered by a staff member. Not sure of the date off hand.

Archived