Late Night Fry Ups In Sheffield

Tazz070299

In my 'clubbing' days during the 70's we all used to end up at Neepsend Nora's - this was an old lorry which had been converted into a burger bar.

It was sited on some spare land down at the bottom of Corporation Street and Mowbray Street.

At 2:00 in the morninig it had a real mixture of clientele - all the disco kids - taxi drivers - coppers - and the odd Merc, BMW, etc cus it was the 'cool thing' to do

Huge Sausage and Tomato breadcake - mug of Hot Chocolate - then taxi home, happy days..

Yes we used to get sandwiches from there when we were on night at woodheads.

LOL i don't recall the barbed wire roof but it was a ropey old van. I used to set off for Vera's on many nights from the Crazy daisy night club but I didn't always find it due to my head and my legs having an argument. I spent a few hours wandering the black streets looking for a "cheg burger with out the egg" ... she always said "why dont you just order a cheese burger". I guess cheg burger without the egg just sounded better.

Thanks again m8. David

As I recall it was Manto who invented the cheg burger he also invented the MM special although I ate many of them can't recall what was in 'em

As I recall it was Manto who invented the cheg burger he also invented the MM special although I ate many of them can't recall what was in 'em

Thats so true .... I don't know what was in them either.

Somethings are best left alone LOL.

thanks Darra

We always referred to it as Greasey Vera's as well. Like a luton transit van but painted a nice shade of Tank green.

Always used to like the barbed wire on the roof!

Jim

I think every city had a Vera's iknow of one in Leicester & i must have visited at least half doz more across the U.K (shows were i spent most of my youth):D:D:D

• 1 month later...

three late night haunts i visited on a regular basis was gee gees at Norfolk Bridge,the fab. New Yorker on sheaf st.(Owned by Kevin) under the railway tracks.and who cant forget Greasy Veras at pitsmoor, with the "Cheg burgers" I called to all of these on the way home from gigs (not all on the same night) they were regular meeting point for entertainers for some reason apart from the Cracking food.

three late night haunts i visited on a regular basis was gee gees at Norfolk Bridge,the fab. New Yorker on sheaf st.(Owned by Kevin) under the railway tracks.and who cant forget Greasy Veras at pitsmoor, with the "Cheg burgers" I called to all of these on the way home from gigs (not all on the same night) they were regular meeting point for entertainers for some reason apart from the Cracking food.
Veras at the bottom of corporation st was owned by Ruth, if she didnt like ypur latin you went hungry

Archived