Anyone born in Pearl Street 1920 to 1950?

Plain Talker is quite correct, but, in fact, Pearl Street was even longer. It ran right past Cliffe Street, past Boston street and ended up on a small crescent -shaped street, called, I think, Beeley Street. Beeley Street used to run from roughly where the Royal Oak is [ or was ? ] round to London Road, sort of parallel with Boston St.

I loved street maps as a kid [ and still do ! ] and it used to fascinate me how a street like Pearl St. pointed like an arrow towards the bottom of The Moor -----but didn't quite make it !

Plain Talker is quite correct, but, in fact, Pearl Street was even longer. It ran right past Cliffe Street, past Boston street and ended up on a small crescent -shaped street, called, I think, Beeley Street. Beeley Street used to run from roughly where the Royal Oak is [ or was ? ] round to London Road, sort of parallel with Boston St.

I loved street maps as a kid [ and still do ! ] and it used to fascinate me how a street like Pearl St. pointed like an arrow towards the bottom of The Moor -----but didn't quite make it !

Beeley Street still exists, it runs behind the Waitrose petrol station, there's nothing at all on it, except the pub which was the oak, and the Chinese restaurant on the corner with London road.

The corner opposite, which housed the shops and the Lansdowne pub are all demolished, now (they came down in the late seventies- I used to pass them on my way to school) and are open land, used as a car park, beside the garage owned by Waitrose.

ps, I used to love poring over maps, too, and I still do. (you can imagine how much fun I have with google earth!)

We moved from the Richmond/ Woodthorpe area in 1949, to just off Ecclesall Road, when I was 8 years old. For some reason, that I've never fathomed out, I pestered my parents to buy me a street map, to see where we had moved from .....and to.

It was one of those ' Geographia ' maps, and I think I must have seen it with the same thoughts as some people are inspired by beautiful paintings. The colours were great, it was all very clear and, to me, the pattern of the streets and roads was fascinating. I'd never realised, travelling from Woodthorpe to town, as a little kid, that many of the roads on the Manor and Woodthorpe went in circles or a special pattern. That was one revelation !

I remember all the bus routes were in yellow and the inner and outer-circle routes were in brown. Then, I started copying the map onto ' Art Paper ', threepence, from the local newsagent 's ; then, trying to travel on all the bus routes, complete with map !

Sorry to get off the topic of Pearl Street and thanks for the info. you sent about Beeley Street. You could stand on Beeley Street and look up Pearl Street for 'miles', as it was dead straight-----provided there was no Sheffield ' smog ' of course !

I found an old photo among my mum`s things. It is a street scene with bunting out, so looks like some celebration (end of war, royal event?) My grandfather lived on Pearl St, and we wondered if that was the street shown. The photo is on Sheffield Pictures under unknown, so if anyone cares to take a look and see if they recognise it that would be great.

(picturesheffield.co.uk)

I imagine it would have been similar view to looking along Cemetery Road today, (the new buildings excepted, of course) as they ran parallel to each other just a few yards apart, and the angles of the undulations in the terrain would have corresponded quite closely.

Did you move away before the high- rise etc were built? you really would not recognise the area, now.

Pearl St is just a little street now, that runs in a walking stick shape from cemetery road to Washington road, finishing by Hills shop and the old Post Office, it's probably not 200 yards in length, now.

here's a link to the current map,

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Beeley+Street+Sheffield&countryCode=GB#map=53.3703,-1.48007|16|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.37226:-1.47745:17|Beeley%20Street%20Sheffield|Beeley%20Street,%20Norton,%20Sheffield,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20S11%208

you can switch between the map and the bird's eye view to get a closer look.

Pearl Street was certainly a long street before the property was demolished, which must have been in the early 1960s? The 1973 directory mentions no private houses and only one firm on Pearl Street - "Hallamshire Welders Ltd" at No 222. Somewhere I have a 1920s street map; I might be able to scan it.

hillsboro, I lived in Epworth for a while about 6 years ago my wife and I moved there but come September it got too cold for us so we just lived there in the summer to avoid the Florida heat. Our house in Florida was hit by hurricane Wilma so we moved to north Florida and gave up the place in Epworth, nice town recommend it to anyone.

Nice to know that you lived in Epworth - it's on our short list for the retirement bungalow when we sell the house in Ashby! Hurricanes... I was in North Carolina when Hurricane Hugo threatened (1989) and escaped to Key West. It's a funny old world....

I remember the area encompassing Landsdown Rd,Pearl St,Cliff St and Cemetery Rd before, and just after the war. Judging by Google earth,it has changed beyond recognition. At the bottom of Landsdown Rd,where it bisects London Rd,was a police box (Dr Who) and before the war,the local Black shirts would hold meetings there. Across the road was the Landsdown picture house,where we kids could get in for an old penny,and at the chip shop at the bottom of Broom Close,we could buy a h'penny worth of chips. As the old song goes,'Fings aint what they used to be' - thank goodness.

• 3 months later...
I was born at the house with the big tree in the garden. I spent a lot of my childhood climbing the tree. We lived at 179 Cemetery Road, but the back garden came onto Pearl Street. I lived there from 48 to 58 and I went to St Matthias school. I loved the school. So did my mum and her brothers. Their name was Grant and they lived at 84 Pearl Street, lower down and below Washington Rd. Happy memories.

I lived in Pearl street , my family new the Grants ,very well ,if you are Joyce's ,daughter ,your mam new the PEET family ,Emily ,Lily ,Ireen ,Dolly ,Gwen &Arthur ,i'm Dolly's daughter ,we lived at 67 Pearl street ,but my auntie's &uncle ,lived at 111 Cemetery ,which backed on to Pearl street ,there entry was 2 doors about ,where your mam lived Regards Rita Collins,( now living at Gt Yarmouth )