Anyone born in Pearl Street 1920 to 1950?

I went to St Mathias for my last year at school ( 1942-43 ) the head teacher was a man called Beresford but my teacher was Miss Kendall but having attended Meersbrook bank School I was way ahead of the others and painted posters for the war effort most of the time.

Yes, perhaps - or it could just have been a good old-fashioned ****-up..;)This 1955 map is a bit better..:)

the 1955 map is brilliant to pore over, I see salmon street ran both sides of Club Garden Road, and the institute for the blind, near the top of Sharrow lane is familiar as I lived a few hundred yards from it as a child.

I notice (being the pedant that I am! LOL) that Penley Street is designated "Penly" and that Croydon Street is not named.

I also notice that the Post Office on Washington Road is on the other side of McKenzie Street, on the 1955 map.

Hi P T - I know you like old maps, so here's another one of c. 1960. Croydon Street isn't named on any of the maps I have, no doubt as there wasn't room.

Janner wrote about pearl buttons in post #5. They also used a lot of mother-of-pearl for knife handles - maybe this is how the name of the street arose.

I wonder how many people remember Heeley railway station - I guess we're a dying breed!.:( But it's Mrs hillsbro's birthday today so she'll be 2 years older than me until April..:P

Hi P T - I know you like old maps, so here's another one of c. 1960. Croydon Street isn't named on any of the maps I have, no doubt as there wasn't room.

Janner wrote about pearl buttons in post #5. They also used a lot of mother-of-pearl for knife handles - maybe this is how the name of the street arose.

I wonder how many people remember Heeley railway station - I guess we're a dying breed!.:( But it's Mrs hillsbro's birthday today so she'll be 2 years older than me until April..:P

My older brother and I were under the Heeley railway arch during the Thursday blitz. We used to catch the train to Grindleford from Heeley every weekend.

I was the Marples Family, I used to go into Arnies to play snooker.

HI Floridablade Did you know a barmaid that worked there named Dolly, i think she lived next door to the pub, l worked with her husband who was a motor mecanic reason for asking l cannot remember his name Cheers Arfer Mo

Many happy returns to Mrs Hillsbro' :)

Gosh, I'm such a pedant, but on the latest map, I've found yet another difference! Grange Crescent is called Grange Crescent Road! (Grange Crescent Rd is the small road immediately to the left of Grange Road)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if there might be anyone out there who knew where Back 7 Cemetery Road might have been? I am trying to solve knot in a branch of my family tree and I have an ancestor (husband of an ancestor) who lived there back in the 1930s and perhaps even later. He was a gardener and I think moved nearer to Sharrow Vale Road area in later life. His name was Charles Oliver Parker.

This is another long shot but I remember someone called Olive Eggington being talked about a lot when I was little and I think she lived near the bottom of Cemetery Road. Does anyone know this lady? I think she was a friend of my mums.

Grannypat

• 4 months later...

My dad john (johnny) horsfield was born in 14 pearl street in 1946.hes got some really good memories of living there.he went to greystones school.he had brothers les and reg and sister Elsie.does anybody remember him or his family? Louise