Cash in hand

Is cash in hand OK?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is cash in hand OK?

• Yes, if it a small amount, i.e.
    • Yes, if it
    • Yes, unlimited amount if you think you'd get away with it
    • No

There was an argument brewing in classified ad about cash-in-hand, but I couldn't find it. I think it deserve a thread of it own since not everyone reads the classified ad section.

Do you think cash-in-hand is OK or not?

I pay my brother money to mow my grass because I do not have the time to do it. Now if this was all above board, it would cost him far more to pay an accountant since the amount he gets off me in a year is little since it seasonal and once every 2-3 weeks.

Would you consider that to be OK in comparison to say, a builder who does an odd Job here and there regularly?

What is OK and what is not?

Do you do it?

I think you need to modify the questions. You can earn up to just over £4000 per year tax free anyway so it kinda bias the voting a little.

What about National Insurance? Should people be allowed to NOT pay that too?

I know the governement taxes us soo much and i don't like it anymore than anyone else. But avoiding tax, over your limit is a crime, punishable by prison. Why should one section of society pay tax and another not?

I have no problem in your bro mowing your lawn for a little £££, thats different. What we are talking about (or we were in another thread) is having a tax free 'job'. A cash in hand 'job'.

Now that IS different from your poll. A job imply's a regular income that will no doubt go over the £4000 odd tax free backet hence a request for cash in hand. People who want to work cash in hand, you will find (or at least I have found) are also claiming benefits. Now whilst I realise that the benefits you get from the government don't give a lot to live on, you have to realise they are giving you that to tide you over, until you get a job.

Why should I pay higher and higher tax, to subsidise those people claiming benefit and working cash in hand jobs? Why should you?

That is the cash in hand we were referring to, not just a couple of hundred quid, or even a thousand. They'd be tax exempt anyway!

Originally posted by XADRIAN

well yeh if you have a low income. ...however I don't like dole bludgers who get dole and then work on the side too

Even worse than them are the people who employ them knowing that they are on job seekers' allowance.

I know a builder who accused all un-employed people of having jobs on the side based on the fact that he employed several on his bigger jobs. Hypocrite? You, the people, decide.

Overall, I'm against cash in hand as I agree with DB, if I have to pay tax then so should everybody.

Guest costessey

Life is full of unnecessary rules and laws....taxing everyone is a fair idea in principle, but as the government squanders most of it, then its fair to make and keep what you can...no exceptions

Archived