The Maynard Arms (Grindleford)

this place has been gutted and now looks awesome a real boutique hotel from top to bottom

Interesting.

I don`t see the point of a boutique hotel in the country-side. I preferred it as a place that wet walkers could go in for a hearty meal and a comfy seat by the fire. Last time I went, I thought that the room on the right as you go in was horrible.

They`ve still got real beer, I hope?

Interesting.

I don`t see the point of a boutique hotel in the country-side. I preferred it as a place that wet walkers could go in for a hearty meal and a comfy seat by the fire. Last time I went, I thought that the room on the right as you go in was horrible.

They`ve still got real beer, I hope?

Completely walker friendly. I often go in for a pie or a burger after a long walk, and a pint of Moonshine. If I'm mucky, I'd always opt for the bar. But the restaurant is perfect for a proper Sunday lunch out.

The room to the right when you go in is fantastic. It's a very modern shade of grey with some traditional and some modern furniture. All in all a very comfortable lounge for a drink pre or post meal. Contrast that to the lovely floral and pink tones it used to sport...

Maynard Arms used to be famous for serving a very large Yorkshire pudding filled with whatever..

They used to do a good job of that I can vouch. But, I'm talking 15 years ago or more.

The last meal I had there was unremarkable - not particularly good or bad - (actually, it can't have been unremarkable can it, because I've just passed remarks on it - ah well!).

For me, it's a nice building in a lovely setting but it has sort of fallen behind the frontrunners of which there are many in Derbyshire.

Not far from the Maynard Arms at Grindleford is the Lovers Leap Cafe at Stoney Middleton.

Once a famous haunt of cyclists, and presumably of Lovers before that, this converted little cafe where I have enjoyed many a mug of strong tea before tackling Taddington hill and the like, was turning out some very good fare a few months ago.

I haven't been there this year but on the 2/3 previous visits it was very good all round. Especially if you can book the table in the grotto area - a natural cave room. Quite a nice setting for an intimate meal for two or more. (Now you may be wondering why I am suggesting intimacy beyond 2 people eh?).

• 11 months later...
Not far from the Maynard Arms at Grindleford is the Lovers Leap Cafe at Stoney Middleton.

Once a famous haunt of cyclists, and presumably of Lovers before that, this converted little cafe where I have enjoyed many a mug of strong tea before tackling Taddington hill and the like, was turning out some very good fare a few months ago.

I haven't been there this year but on the 2/3 previous visits it was very good all round. Especially if you can book the table in the grotto area - a natural cave room. Quite a nice setting for an intimate meal for two or more. (Now you may be wondering why I am suggesting intimacy beyond 2 people eh?).

Lovers leap is now an Indian restaurant.

Archived