The Maynard Arms (Grindleford)

You couild always go to The Red Lion at Litton if you prefer.

I used to like the Red Lion at Litton when Michelle and the late Terry kept it. The place had real character. When the new people took over a couple of years ago, its all rustic chips and timbale's of rice. A lot of the atmosphere has gone out of the place now!

• 11 months later...
Guest makapaka

Hi

Can you just turn up at the Maynard for sunday dinner or do you have to pre-book.

More to the point do they still do sundat dinner as on the website the menu seems more like a restaurant menu.

thanks for your help

I used to like the Red Lion at Litton when Michelle and the late Terry kept it. The place had real character. When the new people took over a couple of years ago, its all rustic chips and timbale's of rice. A lot of the atmosphere has gone out of the place now!

I know this is an old quote, but got to disagree with the feeling that the Red Lion is not what is used to be. The new owners (well they have been there now for a couple of years) have kept everything that was great about the pub and made a lot of other aspects much better IMHO. It's picture postcard pretty, does good food and is still a great locals drinking hole.

We used the Maynard for my son's Christening in November which meant we fully booked the restaurant. The food was excellent, the service exemplary and I could not recommend it enough. Kate organised it all for us and was very good.

We looked at this place about 3 years ago for our wedding reception. Decided against it as we waited about 40 minutes for a sandwich when there was only us in the bar. The sandwich was nice and the menu looked good, just really bad service.

• 6 months later...

The food is fantastic but the service is appauling. They just abandon you once you're sat down, one of our party was choking and there was no one to ask for water, no one checked how our meal was whilst we were eating and they left our empty dinner plates in front over us for over 30 mins whilst they had a chat over by the kitchen then they took our dessert order 30 minutes later. It was really disappointing as it was a special occasion. Someone needs to retrain the staff because this place could be excellent but they let it down. It's the 4th time we've been in and it's always like this. If the food wasn't so nice we'd have no reason to go back.

• 9 months later...

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David Duffy and I have recently taken the position of General Manager at The Maynard.

I have been with the company since 2009, firstly at our sister venue Whirlowbrook Hall where I have been an integral part of the changes that have taken place over the past two years.

I am disheartened to hear that some people have experienced unsatisfactory experience. I am listening very carefully to what our guests say, and makng the changes where it's needed.

I would like to encourage you to visit The Maynard again soon and sample our Restaurant and Bar menus created by our two rosette Kitchen led by our Head Chef Ben.

We also have an upcoming Wedding Fayre on Sunday 18th September, 11am - 4pm. Our Wedding Planner Kate and the rest of the team will be on hand to help newly engaged couples find that perfect venue, along with a selection of excellent suppliers for those making plans for their big day already.

If you would like to find out more about The Maynard please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards

David Duffy

General Manager

david.duffy@fdgroup.com

Archived