Why were Andrews buses called Andrews?

• 1 month later...

hi,slimsid 2000 used to drive for a company called andrews witch ran the 24 and 69 routes sheff center to tinsley and sheff to rotherham,the comp was stated by a man called mick sannager who was married to a woman use farther ran a haulage & driving school for hgv vechials, due to a affair with a lady who worked in the office he was given the driving school side as part of the settlement,bought a couple of old buses to learn people to drive this was at the time the government opened up the industry to private companys to run bus services,

THe coach company was well on the go in the late 40's and 50's and was owned by Jack Andrews a very nice man. and the original Garage was in I think St Phillips road the section now between Penistone Road and Infirmary road. I think Jack sold out in the late 50's when the SUT were buying up all the other small coach operators such as Crosslands,Hirst & Sweetings, George Whitley and Georgw Gill plus others.

Wa also round about the same time Kirkby's at Anston crossroads and Booth and Fisher at halfway also went out of business.

I DID sit in a bus drivers seat for a while though and pretended to be a bus driver but apart from that.... nothing happened.

Jabbers,

what was it like to sit there with the big steering wheel ? I'd love to do that.

:D

I think their slogan used to be 'Andrews keeps you moving' which was written on the side of their buses in large letters. A bit ironic if they broke down.:hihi:

Wasn't that the slogan for Andrews Liver Salts?

Archived