West 10...Going down hill?

kopite

Personally, I rate the food in West 10 (in the restaurant upstairs) as the finest available in Sheffield. Granted, it has its good days and less-than-good, but overall it's 10 out of 10 food, unrivalled in our city.

Johnny is a great host, very knowledgeable about his wines but not a snob. You might like Cloudy Bay wine like me, might not mind paying £35 for a bottle. But Johnny is good enough to recommend other, cheaper alternatives (a New Zealand equivallent - well, almost - for £17.70 a bottle). Thus, you are introduced to other wines.

His Cruzcampo lager is excellent and of course, there's always Vueve Cliquot champagne. Maybe he's working hard at establishing Trippets? West 10 is a well-established place with a loyal following. Personally, and as a non-smoker, I think the smoking ban has spoiled the atmosphere of West 10. There's a cabinet showing Havana cigars; you can buy them but you can't smoke them inside!

Crazy.

I went to Trippets a few months ago and it looks promising. Superb bottle of Rioja, nice surroundings and good company. I'll be back.

Johnny Higginbotham knocks spots off the likes of Richard Smith.

mmmm you own the place?:suspect:

• 8 months later...

Went to West 10 tonight (well, last night, about 6 hours ago), for the first time in about 7 or 8 years. We used to go fairly regularly (it might have been called something different and under different ownership when we used to go), but stopped when the menu and style changed. Since then we have had one of those liitle smelly things in nappies which stopped us eating out in proper places. It isn't quite so smelly now and likes staying overnight at Grandma's, so we can eat in civilised places once again. :thumbsup:

We have been catching up on restaurants again, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal tonight. Not in the same league as Rafters which we went to a few weeks ago, but much better value.

We went to Catch a few weeks before it closed, and Artisan a month or so before that. I prefer West 10 to both.

I expect to be going to West 10 again, as soon as Granny has recovered from tonight.

Archived