Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

fhain29

...round the nonpots corner on Attercliffe rd a paper shop,and they sold sas and herbel remedies any one remember ???
Directories from the 1940s and 1950s show "George Hopkinson, herbalist" at No 444 Attercliffe Road, which was just around the corner from Effingham Road. By 1964 the herbalists business was in the name of "G.W. & M. Wilson", and by 1970 it was described as a newsagents. No doubt the Wilsons had more than one string to their bow!.:)

Hi Flyer

Good to hear from so far away

came over in 65 but can only get on the e-net when wife is asleep because blind in one eye and tuther one not so good so get naged at for putting strain on semi fair one:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Yes - at Jack's it was either 'sass' for sarsparilla or 'spesh' for Jack's 'special' which was a mixture of sarsparilla and blood tonic. Jack always brewed his own sarsparilla; I don't know what the blood tonic he used was, but I'm sure it did wonders for my blood..:P

So looking over past threads JACKS would be the one on Langset never asked him his name just a sample from his many bottle's we tried all of them 1946:thumbsup::thumbsup:

No one has mentioned the herbalist shop that used to be in Division St in the 50's, used to go there from school for a sarsaparilla . Loved it!
Yes - that was Thompson's shop, next door to Nicholson's opticians - I remember it well..:) The properties were demolished around 1960.

I remember the saspirella bar on Abbeydale Road. I remember as a youngster a day out in the school holidays would be to go to Heeley Swimming Baths and then climb up the hill to Abbeydale to road to go to a chemists shop that had what we called a Children's Bar. We used to buy half a pint of saspirella and thought we were oh so grown up! What innocent days. I had no idea until I read these posts that they existed in other parts of Sheffield.

God , this brings back memories :) we lived on Broadfield road,at the bottom of Bedale rd. me and my brothers did excatly the same,after going to Heeley baths. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Now you got me thinking? a chippy on Bedale rd ??? Remind me where abouts was it ?? i was about 6 or 7 at the time.:hihi:

At the top, on the corner with Abbeydale road, and they really were excellent fish and chips.

Remember my mates and I being in there in 1966 when the World Cup was on and having a laugh with some German fans who were trying out British cuisine.

No idea when it closed as I moved away from the area in the late 60s or early 70s. That long ago I don't remember exactly. :)