Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

fhain29

I went to the one on Abbeydale Road. It was really just a shop with a counter and sold tall glasses of sarsasparilla. As far as I know they were quite innocent but all those years ago they were very different from anything else in town.

Flavored drinks were popular (and expensive) in those days.

The cheap drinks were Tizer, Lemonade and Dandelion and Burdock, although Lemonade had no real aquaintance with a lemon.

In 1953, an enterprising shopkeeping sod near us bought a C02 tank set up and made his own!

We gave him good business at 2d a small glass.

Now I have my own Soda Stream, and make my own drinks to order. No more having to go down to Heeley Green in the middle of winter, when you fancied a drop of "something sharp".

I remember a shop labelled 'drug store' on the Williams side of Chesterfield Rd, Woodseats, where we drank sarsaparilla on a few occasions after going to Graves Park

I remember that shop, a very nice lady served us, the one I remember best was situated between the Chantrey and Woodseats pubs, I loved the taste of sasprilla.

I remember that shop, a very nice lady served us, the one I remember best was situated between the Chantrey and Woodseats pubs, I loved the taste of sasprilla.

I remember the herbalist shop on Woodseats, we called in on a Saturday morning after the children's cinema sessions at the Chantrey Cinema and Woodseats Palace, there was a row of small stone barrels on a shelf on the wall behind the counter, each one had a drip tray hanging from a tap to catch any drips from the various flavours on offer, my favourite was ice cream soda, this was diluted with water from a tap under the counter, we would tell the herbalist not to make it too weak.

I was a regular at Tony di Donno's bar on Abbeydale Rd in the sixties, an occasional visitor to Jack's on Langsett Rd and a frequent visitor to Maisie's shop on Gleadless Rd just below Heeley Green. Maisie's family were all really nice people as was their bull terrier. I can't remember when I last went in, probably late 70's, possibly later, but it was the last temperance bar I remember operating. Much of the equipment from Maisie's is now in Weston Park Museum

• 1 month later...

Ah such memories. The mid 40's Just started to go dancing to the Abbeydale not old enough to go to the pub. At the interval we all used to go to Pop's the girls had cream sodas and the lads sarsaparilla.Young American soldiers used to come in it reminded them of home. I was Golden Earrings then. Great memories.