Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

fhain29

What's that got to do with sarsaparilla? There is a thread about rag and bone men/yards.

I think there is a tenuous link in that the alley behind the Abbeydale Road sarsaparilla bar led down to a rag and bone yard on Broadfield Road. Not sure if it was the same one because I can remember two.

I think there is a tenuous link in that the alley behind the Abbeydale Road sarsaparilla bar led down to a rag and bone yard on Broadfield Road. Not sure if it was the same one because I can remember two.

Well said Parson6 jaffa do one.

About 50 years ago there used to be a drink shop that sold sasparilla at firth park, we used to sit there for hours, it was like a sort of pub for under 18s but of course there was never any danger of anybody getting drunk.

I think the proprietors were a family called Norris, nice people.

That was in the old days when firth park was a friendly and closely knit community.

I've heard it's a bit different nowadays.

There was one on FP Rd , one on Bellhouse Rd in the shops higher up from the the Co-op and one on Rushby St at Page Hell. 1950s early 60s..........

Thank you for explaining Person6, I am not familiar with that area.

My late father used to live on Alderson Place off Bramall Lane, he used to tell me about what he called a " Drinks Shop " which sold Sarsaparilla and other soft drinks.

I remember him saying it was either on Bennett Street and or London Road, ( I wish I had paid more attention to him when he was alive).

My father played football in the 1940's for a junior team called Highfield Amateurs of which the owner of the Drinks shop was the manager, they used to meet up at this shop prior to playing.

I have a team picture of them from 1942 ish, taken in front of the pavilion at Bramall Lane.

I'd be interested if anyone could help with any info.

Cheers

Jack

Then i suggest you keep your off the cuff coments to yourself until you do.

Nice person you sound, is this your site , do you moderate the comments?

Bet you don't know where the little cobbled lane were that ran at the back of my local sarsparilla bar without looking at a map.