Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

fhain29

Nice person you sound, is this your site , do you moderate the comments?

Bet you don't know where the little cobbled lane were that ran at the back of my local sarsparilla bar without looking at a map.

That wont be the one running behind and coming out at the side of the Express Dairy will it? Heres one for you.. what was the name off the large company opposit the dairy over the river but before the railway line ??.....

And the answer to you 1st question is Yes i do.

The shop at Manor top Barnards was a sarsaparilla and soda bar before Barnard took it over. The owners lived on Ridgehill Avenue

As teens we all walked up to Barnards and had a drink from the machine outside,which was quite a novelty in 1957. We had loads of laughs and enjoyment without a mobile phone in sight. Who would have wanted parents checking up on us anyway.

As teens we all walked up to Barnards and had a drink from the machine outside,which was quite a novelty in 1957. We had loads of laughs and enjoyment without a mobile phone in sight. Who would have wanted parents checking up on us anyway.

Mobile phone? Nobody on our street had a land line phone in 1957. There was only one house that had a telly

I remember buying sarsaparilla in a herbalists at Darnall but it wasn't a bar as such. Musgrove's? would that be it?
Yes - 1960s directories show "J. Musgrove, herbalist" at 683 Staniforth Road.

Yes - 1960s directories show "J. Musgrove, herbalist" at 683 Staniforth Road.

Hi Hillsborough:

I'm looking to name the little strip of shops in Heeley Green than ran along Gleadless Road, from the Co-op through a number of shops including what we called "The Drink Shop", to the butcher, just before the Wagon and Horses.

Our uncle had the chemist shop.

If you could point me to a link, to a directory, say for 1950, you could clear up a little confusion for my brother and I.

TIA

By the way, our drink of choice was Vimto. Served hot in the cold weather.

Edited by trastrick