Cheap Car Insurance - 17 Year Old?

I presume that’s third party with an excess the size of a mortgage, when my son was 17 we struggled to get descent cover for less than £2000.

It’s alright people saying my cover cost this or that but we are not comparing like with like.

My nephew had third party cover, great until it was written off by an uninsured driver, now he as a bank loan for a car that’s in the scrap yard.

:mad: that's awful! One of the reasons I refuse to buy a new car even if I can afford it. I'm intent on driving a tin can around... although I might wish I had bought a new car when I find myself acting as a crumple zone.

:mad: that's awful! One of the reasons I refuse to buy a new car even if I can afford it. I'm intent on driving a tin can around... although I might wish I had bought a new car when I find myself acting as a crumple zone.

It wasn’t “new” only a couple of grand but when you are a teenager that’s a lot of money.

I presume that’s third party with an excess the size of a mortgage, when my son was 17 we struggled to get descent cover for less than £2000.

It’s alright people saying my cover cost this or that but we are not comparing like with like.

My nephew had third party cover, great until it was written off by an uninsured driver, now he as a bank loan for a car that’s in the scrap yard.

It's alot harder for lads to get cheaper insurance aswell let alone being 17. My fellas 19 now with 2 years NCB and he's still paying a grand on the astra with his dad been a named driver aswell.

It's alot harder for lads to get cheaper insurance aswell let alone being 17. My fellas 19 now with 2 years NCB and he's still paying a grand on the astra with his dad been a named driver aswell.

At least he is doing the right thing and getting his own NCB, 21 used to be the magic age when insurance fell like a stone but now he will probably have to wait until he is 25.

As he gets nearer that age hopefully with maximum NCB he will be able to laugh at is mates that have been on their parents policy and earned nothing, beware policies that give NC to named drivers , we found out that the NC was not transferable when we you want to move .

My Jag's are insured with another company - this is his car.

I am aware in the concequences associated wth doing it this way.

For all they know I am the main driver ;-) even though I wont be able to get my hands on it when he passes his test lol

..sorry Jeffrey I dont agree with this, what your doing is not trivial, you and your son are cheating the system without consideration of the worse case scenario.

If yr aware of the consequences why do you put your son in a position where he could kill someone and potentially be an uninsured driver?

Please tell your son to insure his car correctly or allow him to drive one of yr cars legitimately, as a named driver.

Archived