Does anyone remember 'The Blue Bag'

sweetdexter

I remember my Mom (born 1911) tellng me that she took her father's dinner to him in a bason tied up in a handkerchief when young.

She said that the tram only went as far as City Rd and she walked the rest of the way. Her Dad was a night watchman and I think it was the Manor estate being built that she must have been talking about.

hazel

Easter 1965. I took my parents to my dad's sister's house in Barrow In Furness. Silly Nigel got lost and didn't know where he was. It must have been around the Lancaster area that we went through a village or small town and came across a building which straddled the road. There was a sign on it which read 'Reckitt's Blue'. Believe me it was - everything you could see was blue - building, road and verges. Workers were on the road too, and their faces matched everything else.

That will be the village of Haverthwaite,not far from Ulverston in Cumbria.

As you say,the place was covered in blue due to the local works that produced the blue bags.At that time it was on the main road,but several years ago it was by-passed. The factory closed many years ago.

That will be the village of Haverthwaite,not far from Ulverston in Cumbria.

As you say,the place was covered in blue due to the local works that produced the blue bags.At that time it was on the main road,but several years ago it was by-passed. The factory closed many years ago.

It is now a Hotel.

• 2 years later...

I have just had a wonderful giggle thinking about the mashing as we called it, two sugar to one tea in a little newspaper parcel twisted at the top for my dads pack up.

Thanks for the memory

I remember having numerous stings from nettles being dealt with by either Dock Leaves (when I was 'in the field') or the Blue Bag (when back home).:)

My father also recommended Blue Bag for wasp and bee stings.

• 10 months later...

Archived