How did Dead Mans Hole Lane get its name

prioryx

I always thought it was an odd name for an office building, but at least I know why it's called that now! :P Thanks!

K x

Prior to 1832, there was an "Inn" standing on the corner of the 12.o.clock with a clock. also became a meeting place in the 1900's.

The best name for a street is in Hull city centre: "The Land of Green Ginger". Dead man's hole lane is good too, though.

Interesting - there's a children's book called that, about a button-nosed turtle that floats around the universe (or I might be getting the floating bit mixed up with the 1st Discworld book :huh: ) and two princes are competing to marry a princess...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Prior to 1832, there was an "Inn" standing on the corner of the 12.o.clock with a clock. also became a meeting place in the 1900's.

This is the old 12oclock.Attercliffe Rd. to the right & Saville St. to the left.Round about the late 50s I would have thought.

v4xkko.jpg