Anyone Interested in Scuba Diving?

Hi

I've always fancied having a go at scuba diving and with a holiday to Cuba coming up later this year I'd like to be able to dive while we're there.

Are any forumers into scuba? If so I'd love to pick your brain on what's involved in the basic Open Water PADI training... I'm not a particularly strong swimmer so I'm wondering if I'm up to it!

I'm thinking about having a go initially at the Discover Scuba course to see how things go. It's only 15 quid and the training centre is just down the road (http://www.tigerdive.co.uk/dsd.html).

I was just wondering if there are any other total newbies like me here who'd be interested in coming along? Drop me a PM if you're interested!

Mate - definitely do the scuba thing. I would never stop doing it - love it me, and cuba will be a great location to see some top marine life.

As regards whether you're up to it - not everyone gets on with diving - its a strange sensation to breath underwater but one that you can become accustomed to even if you dont take to it straight away.

Obviously you need to be of a reasonable standard and be comfortable in the water by and large. There is a mandatory length that you have to be able to swim unassisted, although of the top of my head I cant remember what it is.

Nevertheless - I'd recommend giving it a go, its awesome.

• 2 months later...

I did my PADI classroom work in Sheffield (Boatworld London Road) and got a referral so I could do the open water training somewhere a little warmer than Stoney Cove nr Leicester in Dec. I went to St Lucia and completed the course in Dec 99. I looked at going to Cuba in Nov last year but myself and one of the other members of the group were outvoted and we went to Cancun instead. I have been told since that PADI may not be recognised in Cuba as it's an American qualification so it might be worth checking before you commit to spending. The alternative would be BSAC qualification which I think you can probably get through SDS at Killamarsh. Whatever you decide to do enjoy the experience, I did a free fall to 130 feet down a reef wall into black water last Nov, dived with the local nurse sharks and manta rays, got in a tank and fed the bull sharks at the aquarium. There is nothing to compare it with :)

Hey im doing the PADI Open Water course at mo in lincolnshire and I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately im not doing it anywhere half as nice as Cuba but still go for it. I recently emailed a club in Sheffield about scuba diving as im due to start uni there this september. If u like I can rummage about and find the address for u?

• 1 year later...

Join our club and come and learn at Ponds Forge in the diving pit. We practise every Friday night and run various trips, holidays etc. Ring 01246 470808 and speak to Dale or Neil at International Diver Training, who will be able to point you in the right direction. Ours is a Padi 5 star centre - I can definatley vouch for them (married to one of the instructors - or think I am - he's usually underwater so don't see him much!!) Scuba is a fantastic sport and diving around the world is awesome!

Archived