Where to go cycling from walkley?

nightrider

Go down thorugh Wakley on south road towards town, when you reach Brook hill roubdabout (the university one) go straight ahed and follow the cycle signs and you can get on the 5 weirs walk and the Sheffield canal path. You can go wherever from there, I do it regular from Stannington when the weather is nice, you can go to Chesterfield or go North, just turn back when you feel ready. It's a b***h coming home though i'll tell you, but i'm not that fit to be riding up large hills.

I've been told Wharnecliffe Woods is excellent for a bit of off-road stuff. I've briefly explored the main tracks on foot but didn't come across any extreme stuff for serious MTB'ing. I'm planning a non too serious recce on Sun Mar 13 if you fancy joining me.

More info here http://www.mtbuk.co.uk/forumwords.php?ID=5

The trans-pennine trail heading west might also be worth a look ...

Just go down hill to Rivelin and you are there!. The possibilities from there are endless (road).

A short run. Straight up Rivelin Valley Rd to the post office and turn left back into Crosspool.

Longer runs. Turn right up Moscar hill (this is quite long).

ATB. Turn right and go over the dam (approx 1 mile up). This leads you to Wymingbrook. Carry on up to the top and your near Redmires and Stannage Edge! (great views).

Road. Carry on up Moscar to the top. Now you can turn right and come back down through Stannington or you can carry on for about 1/2 a mile and turn right there. This takes you round the Strines and is one of my favourite rides.

Alternatively, carry on down to the bottom of moscar. You can go straight on to Glossop or turn left at the lights. This will take you through Bamforth (sp). Once through Bamforth (sp) you can turn right to Castleton or turn left to come back towards Sheffield via Hathersage (with one hell of a cool climb!).

This brings you out at Foxhouse, down through Whirlow and in to town.Turn left and your almost home again.

Hope this gives you some ideas :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Steer clear of the cycle path that goes East past the Manor to Rother Valley Park. I used to love doing that route but got a puncture this morning after the local hoodies had smashed lots of glass on the route, resulting in a 6 mile walk back home. My misery was added to by a 6 year old girl shouting "we hate bicycles round here". :gag: My advice is to head West along the Porter Valley to the Peak District. :love:

Archived