When was the best era to be young ? 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s what you think?

Which era do you think was best to be young, and which was the worst?

My nomination for worst has to be now... year 2003ish onwards, simply because there appears to be no music scene, all clubs appear to be the same, lots of 80s bars playing wham, and people getting completely ripped off at the bars.

Now for the best? to me this is a tricky one, I would think the 1960s was exciting for the teens back then, as well as possibly the late 1970s.

But a suprise era for me, I would think would have to be the years 1987 to 1994ish, the music was new, the Acid House was completely new and the bars/pubs in the early 1990s appeared to cater for everyone.

ie, indie lot went to leadmill, and tended to have cheap pints on West St, Palais/Occasions/Leadmill Friday night for the Hardcore Dance lot, Rebels for the heavy metal headbangers, as well as Roxys/Cairos for the cheesy stuff.

So to me its a toss up between the 1960s and the late 80s/early 90s

Which do you think was the best era to be young, and which the worst?

Which era do you think was best to be young, and which was the worst?

My nomination for worst has to be now... year 2003ish onwards, simply because there appears to be no music scene, all clubs appear to be the same, lots of 80s bars playing wham, and people getting completely ripped off at the bars.

Now for the best? to me this is a tricky one, I would think the 1960s was exciting for the teens back then, as well as possibly the late 1970s.

But a suprise era for me, I would think would have to be the years 1987 to 1994ish, the music was new, the Acid House was completely new and the bars/pubs in the early 1990s appeared to cater for everyone.

ie, indie lot went to leadmill, and tended to have cheap pints on West St, Palais/Occasions/Leadmill Friday night for the Hardcore Dance lot, Rebels for the heavy metal headbangers, as well as Roxys/Cairos for the cheesy stuff.

So to me its a toss up between the 1960s and the late 80s/early 90s

Which do you think was the best era to be young, and which the worst?

This era you mention is when I was 16 - 23 and yeah it was pretty good. But I often think i'm ten years too young - I'd have liked to be around in New York for the Studio 54 era and i was never really old enough to be a proper mod. However, if truth be known, we probably wouldn't have been allowed by our parents to do half the stuff so i don't think it really matters! I never went to the Hacienda and I am exactly the right age to have gone but i was too worried about the guns and stuff and too skint to make the trip over to Manchester when i was a student! Enjoyed Warehouse at Leeds though then but often just used to end up at cheesy Ritzys and Mr Craigs. :)

I would've liked to have been going to raves in the 90s, not now... Ok, as well as now! :)

As for there being no music scene now, what a load of rubbish!

The music I can't stand right now is the generic indie, there are so many cloned 'bands' producing the same music which is really just pop to please the masses.

I think 90's/now. All the raves in the 90's (I'd have loved to go to Ibiza when they played all the old trance,and Gatecrasher when it was in it's prime), and I love the House that's about at the moment. Electro, Progressive, Deep... it's great!

I would have loved to have been in my teens/early 20s in the sixties. Mary Quant, Carnaby Street, the Beatles and all that. But I wasn't even born then. I would also have loved Studio54. (I have had a lifelong love of mini skirts and knee length boots, but maybe that's another story)

But when when I was in my heyday (late 80s and most of the 90s) I did enjoy The Steamer (at the Leadmill), Occasions, Republic (as it was), The Palais/Music Factory, Trash, Creation etc. And further afield Venus, Quadrant Park, Deluxe, Renaissance (can't believe I used to spend my week looking forward to a night out in Mansfield), Hacienda. God I'm feeling old now remembering this.

Actually, the Hacienda was never that enjoyable, it was wayyyy to scary, and I think you had to be there in the 80s early days of the club rather than the 90s for it to be enjoyable without fear of getting shot in the queue outside. And the sound system was shocking.

Went to some dodgy warehouse partys in the late 80s which seemed great at the time but when I look back I wonder how I came out alive. Must be an age thing. Much prefer a DVD and a nice glass of vino now....but if anyone wants to resurrect the Jive Turkey or Creation nights I'll be very tempted to dust off my dancing shoes......:hihi:

So in answer to the OP's question I think the 60s would have been great but the late 80s and 90s were a fab time for me and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Archived