A couple of things I'm wondering about...

gemma86

Originally posted by slh73

The siren goes off at 1pm everyday to remind office wrkers that its time to go back to work. And yes, they are knocking the Leopold Street buildings down.

Wow does any other city have this facility - I have not seen it in London or Manchester. Do sheffielders really require to be reminded to go back to work in this day and age - and what if you take your lunch break from 1 to 2 pm ?

Originally posted by Patrick2000

Wow does any other city have this facility - I have not seen it in London or Manchester. Do sheffielders really require to be reminded to go back to work in this day and age - and what if you take your lunch break from 1 to 2 pm ?

Then you'll be late:cool:

Sounding of sirens used to be a regular thing in areas of rural Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire, where the workers in the sugar beet factories were alerted by the siren 10 minutes before work was due to start in the mornings, and ten minutes before the end of the lunch hour.

• 8 months later...

What a good idea to save an old architectural quality shell of a building and build a modern interior.

I'm afraid we are about 50 years late in this thinking.

Whilst we have seen a lot of our heritage pulled down over the last years Germany, Poland, France, Czechoslovakia and other european countries have completed their's years ago and are very proud of their cities.

We have finished up with a load of ill matched buildings that were never built to last, you've only got to look at The Moor, ex Norfolk, Claywood, Parkhill and even buildings in the very centre.

It is only in this last few years that someone has started to think but you can forget our heritage of buildings they an only be seen on archive photos.

Sad day!

Well said Pop. :thumbsup:

And if people would look ABOVE the modern shop frontages in the city centre, they'd notice just how attractive some of these older buildings were architecturally. North side of High Street, some of Fargate and Norfolk Street to name just a few.

Archived