Crystal Peaks...memories

Just been thinking, Crystal Peaks must have been open now about 20 years.

What memories do people on have from the early days of Crystal Peaks?

I can remember when the 10 screen cinema opened as AMC Cinemas,

shops that were there in the early days like GT News, Colourvision, the old Sainsburys, Bejam (before it became Iceland), Stead & Simpson, Body Boutique, Foster & Plumpton, numerous locations of the Post Office, large variety of food outlets downstairs, Fosters Menswear.

Remember when it was open land where Wilkinsons, Store21 etc are now?

Remember when the colour scheme was all blue and had a diamond pattern in the logo?

20 years, have they finished it yet? There always seems to be building work going on and it looks like some of the units have never been let.

One memory I do have was going to that cinema on a boiling hot summers day and almost coming out with frost bite because the air conditioning was so powerful.

Remember Potato Junction? our daughter worked there on saturdays when she was studying for her GCSE's and A levels and enjoyed the experience, and it stood her in good stead when she was at university and worked behind the bar at a rugby club for extra cash.

I remember the day the cinema opened and they had Robert Powell, Barbara Windsor and Ade Edmondson there to open it (he signed my sisters Young Ones book!). Then me and my mate decided to go to see a film there and then so we went and saw Planes, Trains and Automobiles missing the first 10 minutes due to us acting on impulse :D

Other memories are Eddie the Eagle swooping down in the Atrium and Chris Bonnington scaling the 'Peak', endless goes on Mortal Kombat 2 in the arcade next to the cinema, those Red and Blue flashing neon patterns above the main entrances, joining the library and loaning out the first CD i'd ever seen/played (Def Leppard's Pyromania), the World Premier of The Full Monty.

:help:

Many years ago, as a black cab driver, I picked up a customer from Midland Station. He asked me to take him to Drake house. On the way he told me he was an architect and he was helping design a new shopping centre complete with possibly a swimming pool and a night club. He spent about an hour studying the site, and then I had to take him round all the nearby villages Beighton,Mosborough, Eckington, etc. When I told him I had just moved to Westfield, he asked me what kind of shops I thought we needed, what the bus service was like, and many more things. I like to think that in a small way I helped with the building of Crystal Peaks.

• Like 1

tell me didi where did the swimming pool and night club end would have been a good idea, used to have picnics with my 2 oldest children on the grass that is now wilkos ect

I think the idea for the pool was dropped when they realised there was swimming pools in the area, Westfield and Eckington.

I think the club was going to be built where the football pitches are now. I seem to remember there was an objection to it being built because of the noise late at night.