The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

I was 5 to 10 years too young to remember the Buccaneer. I can remember one story that my dad told me about a shirtless barman who had a tattoo of a man on one shoulder blade and a tattoo of a woman on the other. He could flex himself so that they came together and 'kissed'. Maybe they did kiss, or maybe something else, but can anyone verify this.

• 1 month later...
Dragonsoup

I can honestly say that, although I went in the Buc regularly for two years, it was never light enough to see the furniture. "Compasses and Mermaids?" Wow, I really missed something didn't I? I don't even remember them having tables

It was affectionally know as the Musical Coal Mine !!

• 2 weeks later...
I used to hang out there a lot in 1971 when I was under-age. The police once came in and removed all my friends around me leaving me with six pints to drink - one of the advantages of being premature balding and looking older, I suppose!

Whenever I hear Born to be Wild it reminds me of the place.

Both loved it and hated it. Music was great, beer truly awful, atmosphere almost unbearable. There was a more chill bar upstairs we would adjourn to when the smoke and crowd got too bad.

The easy way to get talking to girls was to drop your empty plastic beer glass on their foot. It's the only way you could get rid of the glass anyway. The floor was littered with them and it was someone's job to go ferreting for them then walk around with them stacked six feet high.

I was 16 when it shut, only went in a couple of times and then it was gone :-(

So for me Born to be Wild is a reminder of the Nelson which I soon moved on to (likewise Feel Like Makin Love really reminds me of the Penthouse).

I was 16 when it shut, only went in a couple of times and then it was gone :-(

So for me Born to be Wild is a reminder of the Nelson which I soon moved on to (likewise Feel Like Makin Love really reminds me of the Penthouse).

my penthouse track would be allright now or soul sacrifice