The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

ITS CALED FORGEMASTERS & SHEFFIELD CHECK OUT PICTURES OFF PUBS THAT HAVE GONE,sportsman,magnet,plumpers etc

OK, I'm with ya now. The Victoria on Neepsend Lane is familiar. My dad used to work near there at the Hallamshire Rolling Mills (became part of James Neill, and then they were all laid off in 1981). I remember that one and also the Malton Hotel where I was occasionally allowed in as a kid with him on a lunchtime and I played on the pinball for free for ages. The landlord was a great guy called Bill Drury.

I've some happy memories of the Buccaneer and it's good to hear everyone else's reminiscences. It was an original place as a city centre venue in the

60's / early 70's and had its own unique atmosphere which made it sometimes unbearably popular.

When it was pulled down in 1973 the demolition company, which was situated just off Wensley Street in the East End, took all the reclaimable materials to their yard. Didn't get any mermaids, anchors or barrels but at the time I needed some timber beams for the house I was renovating so I bought a job lot. In a way, therefrore, its spirit still survives in the fabric of the place where I still live 37 years on.

• 2 weeks later...
at the time I needed some timber beams for the house I was renovating so I bought a job lot. In a way, therefrore, its spirit still survives in the fabric of the place where I still live 37 years on.

Do the beams still smell of dodgy cigarettes?

• 5 months later...

An old friend of mine, KateT, and I have just met up on the forum

We’ve been discussing, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gene Clarke’s original version of Polly Come Home, and the best anti-vietnam song of them all, John Prine’s Ballad of Sam Stone

Lawdy lawdy!!

• 2 weeks later...