The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

• 2 weeks later...
I remember you playing "And You And I" by Yes. It was glorious!! :help::help:

glad you remember it i still play it in my car as for anti war songs what about country joe and the fish, have you seen dirty stopouts guide to the seventys theres a pic of me and george webster in the buccaneer

i've some happy memories of the buccaneer and it's good to hear everyone else's reminiscences. It was an original place as a city centre venue in the

60's / early 70's and had its own unique atmosphere which made it sometimes unbearably popular.

When it was pulled down in 1973 the demolition company, which was situated just off wensley street in the east end, took all the reclaimable materials to their yard. Didn't get any mermaids, anchors or barrels but at the time i needed some timber beams for the house i was renovating so i bought a job lot. In a way, therefrore, its spirit still survives in the fabric of the place where i still live 37 years on.

thats great its when are you going to have open day and bring out all your old frank zappa records - just pity he's no longer around along with many others of our day. I saw hendrix at city hall when i was 16 and mothers in manchester when i was 17 - great days

I remember the bucaneer well - used to go in regular with the girlfriend who is now my wife and a load of mates, we use to stand at the bottom of the stairs just inside the doorway right next to the column speaker blasting out in our ears.....couldnt hear for days afterwards, wont forget those plastic pint pots either - beer tasted horrible in them.

Me and the mates had long hair then.....right down our backs - none on top of our head just down our backs, and dressed in denim - jeans and shirts.

Remember them playing Faith Healer ( Alex Harvey ) they use to play Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh a lot as well, and a number called Long Train Running....... it was the Bucaneer that started me off with a liking for Deep Purple and Cream.

Just been reading this post I made and realised the mistake I made !

Although I did use to go in the Bucaneer with my girlfriend ( who is now my wife ) and remember it well, the description I have given of the pub and of the music relates to the Wapentake .......... not the bucaneer.

The Bucaneer as I remember it didnt play such heavy stuff as the Wapentake.

Although I did use to go in the Bucaneer with my girlfriend ( who is now my wife ) and remember it well, the description I have given of the pub and of the music relates to the Wapentake .......... not the bucaneer.

To be honest, your description fitted the Bucc perfectly. The tunes you mentioned were all played in there. Faith Healer was a particular favourite. As was "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain

The Wap became more popular after the Bucc closed (sad day) as many of the same customers moved across

the buccaneer was all heavy metal, alex harvey ,led zepp,sabbath ,purple

No it wasn't. There was lots of lighter stuff. The main thing is that it wasn't chart music. It was mostly contemporary stuff - kind of thing you would see on Old Grey String Vest

Anyway - we didn't have Heavy Metal in those days, We had "Progressive Rock" :P

I worked at the Buccaneer when I was in the 6th form (before I went to Art college :D):DIt was a hectic place to work and I remember only because your posts have reminded me, that the tables had mermaids and compasses - I "cleaned" them at least once a week! one night I seemed to be getting more than my fair share of attention from some of the usually too cool punters. I was congratulating myself on the black micro mini dress and false lashes when someone pointed out that the ultra violet lighting was giving everyone a good view of my white underwear. I was so embarrassed to be so exposed. So I took them off! No-one took any notice after that and went back to their pints.