The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

Blue Bell, Dove and Rainbow, Nelson, Three Cranes

Even the "Hen and Chickens" was a good night out. You'd need typhoid shots to go in there now.

Mind you, The Sportsman and The Norfolk Arms are both still good value

another 5 good ones there

Blue Bell, Dove and Rainbow, Nelson, Three Cranes

Even the "Hen and Chickens" was a good night out. You'd need typhoid shots to go in there now.

Mind you, The Sportsman and The Norfolk Arms are both still good value

nelsons still going innit? aint that the new wapentake?

aint that the new wapentake?

No

The Nelson was The Nelson even before the Wap.

During the early seventies it had the best juke box in town, by a mile.

The landlord used to put his own records on and not rely on an agency.

This meant you could listen to Led Zep and co on the system.

Mind you, the queue for records was that big, if you put a record on on Saturday night, you had to go back Tuesday lunchtime to hear it..

• 4 weeks later...
Wasnt old enough to get in there, but years later went to Stoke Hall at Grindleford for my birthday (why) and someone told me the furniture and tables with compasses on and some mermaids fastened to the wall had come from the Buccaneer.

I wasn't old enough either but I still went in! hehehe

• 4 weeks later...

The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

The Buccaneer was a place I frequented frequently in 1970-73 usually Friday neets and Saturday dinner times. The fellows who played the music did a great job in my ears because every piece they played always seemed to meet with my approval and I always looked (heard) forward to them playing Jig-A-Jig by East of Eden. Yes, my days of shoulder length hair parted in the middle plus my garb which was an Afghan coat and sometimes an R.A.F. greatcoat with neutral buttons. The ultra 'thin' beer that was served was I think Youngers Tartan, Watney's Red Barrel and 2 Lagers, Hofmeister and Carling and Gaymers cider all somewhat tasteless but they did their job. I remember the bogs tended to be leaky so it would have been better for us to have worn wellingtons, but not to worry because I was used to it being a regular visitor to places like Penthouse, Students Union Bar and the outside lav at the Albert pub...Lol. I also went in the Buccaneer in midweek and would often chat with Trevor Hockey the United player who owned a Velvetex car and those evenings we drank from dimpled beer glasses with the handle but the beer still tasted crap. There was also a door inside the Buccaneer that led to a stairway that in turn led to the American Bar (Captains' Cabin) upstairs. Two doormen I recall were Tom Lynch and Martin Bellamy, I saw Martin recently at Gleydless Tahnend and Tom is a regular drinking mate of mine in Broomhill.

One Friday night I went into the Buccaneer with a group of pals and along the bar was a bunch of birds and out of the blue one of them came sauntering over to me and offered to buy me a pint and I didn't decline. To cut a long story short we were 15 minutes later going up and out of the Bucc turned right, hurried along past the Town Hall and just before the Surrey Pub were a row of offices (possibly solicitors) ready for demolition (roughly where the Winter Garden is now) and we disappeared along an alleyway and got busy. After a post coital ciggy we returned to the Buccaneer and she went back to her mates and I went back to mine. This turned out to be a regular thing with this bird who's name I never knew. During those 2 months or so I always looked forward excitedly to a knee trembling experience and a free pint on those Friday nights......Cum what may! (In) decent days, I miss 'em.

P.S. I think the Buccaneer was owned by Trust House Forte which also owned the Grosvenor Hotel nearby that later had the Wapentake (poor man's Buccaneer) underneath it. I do stand to be corrected.

I think the last song to be played was Lola by the Kinks?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I’ll be blowed! Don’t you just love technology??

I’ve just been on to my digital music supplier, Ovi Music, and there, as large as life, is “Billy Porter” by Mick Ronson – downloadable for the princely sum of 79 New Pence (£0 -15/10d in old money) so now everyone can get hold of it (It wasn’t there last time I checked, just before Christmas)

Go to http://music.ovi.com/global/en/pc/storeselector and do a search on Mick Ronson. It’s on the album “Play Don’t Worry” which you can buy in its entirety for 8 quids. The album also has a stunning version of “White Light White Heat” on it, worth the entrance fee on its own

I suspect that if it is on Ovi it will be on other download systems

I now have it blaring out from my PC in glorious technocolour!!! The Gods are smiling

:headbang::headbang:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh yeah - i remember The Buccaneer, exactly as you say. Spent many a happy night (and Saturday lunch-time) in the Bucc, and it was usually the scene of a Saturday Night ruck if Newcastle Utd had been playing in Sheffield.

The only other pubs in town i can remember where you were guaranteed to hear good music was The Nelson, just off the Moor, which had a blinding jukebox and was run by a guy called Don Millward, who later went off to manage a pub in Grimsby, and The Albert (long gone), across the road from the City Hall, where beer wasn't the only drug of choice on offer......

The Bucc was taken over by Olga Marshall (god bless her) and she later moved to the Wappentake - which carried on the tradition, more or less.

Great days Eddie, great daze

• 4 months later...

Denim flares, denim jean jacket, shoulder length hair, a tie die or cheese cloth shirt. Throw a pint down your neck, throw the plastic glass on to the cobbles and guess which way its gonna bounce and Chicago`s 25 or 6 to 4 at full volume. Take me back ! please !