The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

John,

I met my wife in the Buccaneer about 44 years ago (suppose I should know the exact date but can't remember) Part of the downstairs bar was set up to look like a cave and she was sitting on an immitation rock when we met.

I used to prowl the streets with a group of mates every Friday night and the following were included on our route :

Claymore, Wapentake, Stone House, Blue Bell, Golden Ball, Mulberry, Nelson, Dove & Rainbow and probably a few others that I have forgotten.

I'm ashamed to say that often we went in all of the above but I reformed soon after meeting my wife.

Hello David,

The Buccaneer was the scene of my first date with my girlfriend - now my wife also 44 years ago. We went in most of the pubs you have mentioned including one called The Merry England - our favorites though were always The Buccaneer and The Wapentake, we used to stand at the bottom of the stairs at the side of the low level column speaker, when we came out we could hardly hear nothing but a buzzing in our ears !

• 6 months later...

In the late 60's there was a bar called the Bucaneer, located under The Grand Hotel, in Sheffield centre , the thread by Slotter reminded me of this drinking venue, especially Saturday lunchtimes. , good for a meet up for a few beers.

Used to see Joe Cocker in there myself, and have a few beers and a chat with him. We had been at Lydgate Lane School and Central Tech . School at same time although did not really know each other then , but I visited a lot of pubs in early to mid 60's where groups would perform, eg Vance Arnold, aka Joe Cocker , Dave Berry etc.

Think shortly after our meets Joe Cocker went to The States.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Glenn,

I think you are right about the fittings going to the Wap. Also transferred was the manageress, the wonderful Olga.

I assume the Grand Hotel and the Buccaneer like the Grosvenor and the Wapentake were both owned by Trusthouse Forte hence the transfer of the fixtures and Mrs Marshall when it closed down

I remember the hanging fishing nets in the Buccaneer, but didn't the same building become the Pig and Whistle and now Bessamers ? only just started boozin in them days so can't remember exactly, I still didn't think it was further along the street towards the old city school. which is on stradbroke road these days.:huh:

I remember the hanging fishing nets in the Buccaneer, but didn't the same building become the Pig and Whistle and now Bessamers ? only just started boozin in them days so can't remember exactly, I still didn't think it was further along the street towards the old city school. which is on stradbroke road these days.:huh:

No the Grand Hotel was completely demolished and The Fountain Precinct built on the site. The Pig & Whistle was in the basement of The Fountain Precinct

Ive really enjoyed reading these posts, they reminded me of songs I've not heard in a long while and pubs I used to visit.

I remember my parents driving to the top of Fargate, me in the back of the car aged 13, and my mum looking out at the Buccaneer commenting on the "types" who frequented the place. I looked on with silent envy and excitement at the prospect of being able to visit as soon as I was old enough. Unfortunately, by the time I was old enough the Buccaneer was no more.

When the time came I found plenty of great places to visit and good times were had, but I will always remember my mother looking down her nose at the Buccaneer and my disappointment when it closed.

Went in many times during the 60s. One of the things I remember was 'blanking' Bobby Moore because I thought it funny at the time.

If you came in through the Grand Hotel entrance you could get in the lift and it would take you down to the Buccaneer.

The lift was one of those small antiquated ones and not the most reliable.

I get in and press to go down, the lift goes up to the top floor and Bobby steps in looking every inch the captain of England, Blazer, tie, grey slacks, shiny shoes, dazzling white shirt.

I keep my face straight and pretend not to know who he is.

The lift proceeds to go down about two floors, stops doors open, no one there. Goes down one more, same result.

We are both stood there in silence, he 'shoots his cuffs' classy cufflinks. I keep stum and make out I had no idea who he was.

Finally we get to the ground floor, he gets out and gives me a puzzled look and I nod at him as you would any stranger in the same circumstances. I proceed down to the Buccaneer to tell my mates.

It seemed an amusing thing to do at the time, but when he died tragically young I regretted not having a chat. He always struck me as a decent enough bloke.

my mates and me were big fans of the buccaneer, in that time we would go there 3 times a week thursday ,Friday, and Saturday's where we would spend a good 3 hours knocking back Rum and blacks, till we were ****** out of our heads, we liked Thursday the best we called it HP night hen party night as that's when most brides to be would hold their hen nights. it was always packed and never saw any trouble we all had a fantastic time under the Grand hotel shame that one of the best Victorian building in sheffied may be even Georgian[/color]