The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

Resurrecting an ancient thread I know but for the sake of historical accuracy: The drummer who was jamming with Peter Green on this occasion was Dave Seville of McCloskey's Apocalypse and I believe at least one other musician up there was from local band Acid who used to make a reasonable stab at the Cream version of "Crossroads". I've been struggling to remember the name of the "hippy" in question but I remember two other things about him- he often carried an umbrella and I was told at the time he worked in a betting shop.

The Peter Green jam was a magical event on a great sunny summer afternoon and whether he enjoyed it or not I don't know but I certainly did.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 16:57 ----------

I see you've only ever posted three times Ivan and this is a particularly historical thread which I stumbled up accidentally but, for some bizarre reason I remember Menagerie. I think! If anybody can answer this seeing as Ivan doesn't appear to be around any more I'd be grateful- Did Menagerie have a guitarist called Brian and a bassist by the name of Fergy. If so I remember talking to you at a weird free gig in Graves Park around that time. The gig ended up being terminated by local bobbies chasing members of the audience around the park in the dark. I remember the trees next to the cafe catching fire when someone put a match to the banner that was hanging there, the whole thing was extinguished by the rain that tipped down later..

Slightly off topic but I once went to the Sheffield Playhouse to see A mid summer nights dream could've been twelfth night, it was about 40 years ago mind, the music was supplied by the afore mentioned McCluskey's Apocalypse.

And back to the topic for me; In the late sixties it became my first regular drinking hole. Went in a few times with a couple of mates for the occasional Saturday afternoon session then it developed into- Bucc from about 12 til closing time, then down to the Sidewalk Cafe for frothy coffees and a bite, to return to the Bucc at opening time then drink til closing time or off up to the Students Union if that looked more interesting. It was paced and not an all out drinking match. The Youngers Scotch bitter and Tartan bitter were palatable in the early days but became undrinkable later on and always tasted sour so we switched to Newcastle Brown or bottled Guinness which could be relied upon to be as it left the brewery. I broadly enjoyed the music in the Bucc even if the volume rendered conversation impossible and I thought the decor was ridiculous, just kitsch. They needn't have bothered.

I can remember the police arriving en masse one evening, for reasons which I never understood, but causing a mass stampede through the exit via the Grand Hotel. Many people, including our little party stayed put and the coppers just wandered about asking peoples names before dissolving away.

I remember walking along Leopold St at night as a university student. Just outside the Grand Hotel, a group of lasses who were, let's say, under the influence, surrounded me. Yikes! Don't get me out of here.:o One of them gave me a great big kiss and dragged me (oh, yes, I was really protesting. lol) down into the Bucanner where she bought me a drink. .... and the story continues.:hihi:

And back to the topic for me; In the late sixties it became my first regular drinking hole. Went in a few times with a couple of mates for the occasional Saturday afternoon session then it developed into- Bucc from about 12 til closing time, then down to the Sidewalk Cafe for frothy coffees and a bite, to return to the Bucc at opening time then drink til closing time or off up to the Students Union if that looked more interesting. It was paced and not an all out drinking match. The Youngers Scotch bitter and Tartan bitter were palatable in the early days but became undrinkable later on and always tasted sour so we switched to Newcastle Brown or bottled Guinness which could be relied upon to be as it left the brewery. I broadly enjoyed the music in the Bucc even if the volume rendered conversation impossible and I thought the decor was ridiculous, just kitsch. They needn't have bothered.

I can remember the police arriving en masse one evening, for reasons which I never understood, but causing a mass stampede through the exit via the Grand Hotel. Many people, including our little party stayed put and the coppers just wandered about asking peoples names before dissolving away.

Was it the Buc that introduced those horrible plastic glasses, ,and do the night life pubs and clubs still use them downtown?

Was it the Buc that introduced those horrible plastic glasses, ,and do the night life pubs and clubs still use them downtown?

It was the first place I experienced plastic glasses. They never looked clean and I doubt that they were clean. I thought they signified the tipping into decline of a place if they considered it necessary, for whatever reason, to introduce them.

I didn't like them then and wouldn't consider drinking out of them now.

You might go thirsty in some places then! At the recent Nether Edge Farmers market, beer served at the bowling club for drinking outside was in plastics, i have seen plastic used in other 'sensitive' areas too.

Yep, disposable..... See post 227

Edited by smithy266
Added detail

You might go thirsty in some places then! At the recent Nether Edge Farmers market, beer served at the bowling club for drinking outside was in plastics, i have seen plastic used in other 'sensitive' areas too.

I think you mean disposable plastic much like coffee cups to go, which is normal for outdoor functions.The one's we are talking about were plastic imitations of regular pint glasses, and were used just the same way, i.e. washed and used again and for indoor usage.

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 10:51 ----------

I remember the hanging fishing nets in the Buccaneer, but didn't the same building become the Pig and Whistle and now Bessamers ? only just started boozin in them days so can't remember exactly, I still didn't think it was further along the street towards the old city school. which is on stradbroke road these days.:huh:

Pig and Whistle was pretty much the same location but that building was new at the time and not the Grand