The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

Bit late with this.....I recall closing track Led Zep....`Stairway to....``

ironically, all these years later. I`m living just a couple o` miles from Robert Plant..he`s just like one o` the locals in the pub..and does a lot for Charity..

You wouldn't pass the Buccaneer on the way to the Red Lion if you approached it via West St, Pinfold St or the High St LOL

All roads led to the Lion.

I remember a conga line line once, that was led by a bloke called Albert Greenwood( wearing y fronts) that left the lion, down High Street back up Church Street and into the Lion again picking up around a hundred extra conga hangers on on the way.

Another night I ordered six pints of Stones and going towards the knacker corner tripped up with tray and drenched the whole corner.

No problem every one stripped of and sat there in y fronts while trousers and shirts dried in front of landlords fire.

The navy was in Town one night and among them was the navy"s one mile running champion , our pal Ian Steel who smoked Woodbines and supped 6 pints a neet challenged him to a race around City Hall, all our bets were on Steeley because he was the fastest thing on two spangly legs that ever walked on West Street, Steeley won and the sailors did a bunk .

• 7 months later...

Only went in the buchaneer for about six months before it closed down,but always had a proper glass,the ones with the handle ,traditional pint glass.Loved the prog rock stuff.Shame it did close but then again we had the wapentake,same tables with the maritime map of the world on em.

Long shot I know but does anyone remember what colour the sign above the door was? Or better still does anyone have a colour photo of it? The door on Leopold Street that is. Asking for a friend who is doing a painting of Leopold Street as it was in the sixties.

Seem to remember it was a maroon / brown colour with gold lettering

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
me and my mates john greenwood,paul drew,long haired pete

,geoff cauldwell,john dylan & curried goat used the bucaneer every saturday afternoon without fail the beer was crap but we used to drink guinness always consistently good.

The d.j there did our wedding disco at dam house in crooks valley park in 1971

BY THE WAY THERE WASN'T ALWAYS PLASTIC GLASSES AS YOU WILL SEE FROM MY PHOTO'S I WILL POST LATER

Hey "BOOKER", found your message yesterday whilst reminiscing over this Buccaneer subject and saw my name in it. I know the message is from a few years back but It evoked memories of about 50 years ago when we used to go in there as you say. Long haired Pete was Pete Seaman and Curried Goat was a blast from the past, I didn't know or can't remember his real name but he got his nick name from when we went to the Shades on Ecclesall Rd. where they served it up, it seemed to amuse him. I only remember proper glasses at the Buc but there again I don't think the container was as important to us as the contents even though it wasn't that good. They say that if you can remember the 60's you weren't there.

I'll PM you with more stuff that's not neccessarily appropriate for discussion on a forum.

Cheers for now,Fourbytwo

I remember seeing "Boys of the Lough" at the Highcliffe, introduced by Capstick. Those guys could play, I tell you

There was also a guy who recited some Pam Ayres poems, years before anybody had heard of Pam, the one about teeth.

Then there was three guys who were all the spitting image of Tomorrow's World's James Burke.

AAaah Glory days..

One of those three guys would have been radio Sheffield presenter and promoter of gigs who ran the Friday night folk show Bob Hazelwood spelling may be wrong.