Why do pubs play music so loud?

Hels

Lots of pubs now seem to find it necessary to play music at ear shattering volumes which I personally hate but then in pubs that cater to the younger age range it's probably a good idea as they seem to lack conversational skills and sound as thick as piggy poo. Or maybe that's just me generalising!

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd make this post after another night of ringing ears. Don't want to put any names into your heads, but I find my ears are increasingly ring'y after nights out in certain venues.

A friend, who worked mangement in a Sheffield bar, told me they turn the music up, so people talk less and feel uncomfortable. This results in them drinking more. Quite simple logic he said. I go out alot, and I've noticed certain bars getting louder and louder and louder. Some are pretty unbareable. I'm more than up for partying when I go out, but I find having a conversation is just not worth the effort involved in SHOUTING.

Even the smaller bars now are getting too loud, especially on a Friday and Saturday. MATRIX bar, is one i'd like to point out as being *the* loudest bar I have EVER EVER been in. On a "quiet", empty midweek night I swear if you listen carefully enough you can just about hear the DJ in Crooks :gag:

Some clubs are worse than others too. Maybe I just have sensitive ears!

Anyone else think of any clubs/bars that need to be told to keep it down abit..

?

This is a good thread. I finally feel absolved of the title "Old Fart" - And I'm only 28!! - I've refused to go to some of the places in town where they've got music so loud it shakes your fillings out and have suggested a quiet pub where they keep a good pint and you can have a chat.

This undeserved title was earned one night in old corp where I spent the majority of the evening in the chill out room and on the sofas opposite the bogs nattering away punctuated by the occasional mosh. A bit of balance is always needed, quiet for people like us and blaring, unrestrained volume for thems that want a boogie.

Archived