Why do pubs play music so loud?

Hels

• 2 years later...

Loud music in bars is a particular bug bearof mine - whats the point - if I wanted loud music I'd go to a club or live gig - people usually go to bars with their friends for a chat and not to compete shouting at each other all the time - the sooner this craze for loud music in bars dies a death the better .... hopefully it will?

An example is that student pub in Ecclshall road whats it called Nursery Tavern - giant speakers deafening you at sunday lunch time when you go in with friends for a quiet sunday lunch and then the idiots behind the bar turn it up even louder - no matter where you move within the pub you can't escape a speaker at your back or over your head blasting out Oasis or SCLUB 7 or some sort ... or maybe I'm just turning into an older cranky git but does anyone else agree with me - if we boycotted all those type bars in Sheffield they would soon stop ....<FUMES>

Am I seeing double, sure I have seen this before... by Carborundum you are fuming; but I agree, what is the point in a pub, a place where we go to chatter. Very annoying.

You're right so I've done a little merge.

The Bath - really great little boozer, they do Laphroad and Aadbeg too. Red wine not too bad.

Ivory - great cocktails, but the music is sometimes cranked up

The Greenroom - drinks choices limited

The Washington - ditto

Devonshire Cat - spoilt for Choice

Platillos Bar - lovely place, expensive though

Wig and Pen - great place

Sanctuary - great cocktails - can be too loud

i've been saying this for the past few years, and i'm by no means an old fart! :hihi:

i don't mind when the music is loud at a gig or club, but it's getting harder and harder to find a nice bar to meet friends in if you don't want to have to shout everything in their ears.

Went in the sanctuary last weekend and thought that was perfect, not too loud and some gorgeous cocktails :)

Archived