Charging for Ice in pubs

1.) Cider should never repeat never be served with ice. It is only done so because to drink it anything other than ice cold you'll realise Magners and the like taste of knats pee. Yet the hordes still fall for the marketing and pay up for an inferior product.

2.) Try proper cider - it has flavour and doesn't need to be served at -273K.

3.) Try a different pub. If you keep going back then you deserved to be charged 20p for ice!

1.) Cider should never repeat never be served with ice. It is only done so because to drink it anything other than ice cold you'll realise Magners and the like taste of knats pee. Yet the hordes still fall for the marketing and pay up for an inferior product.

3.) Try a different pub. If you keep going back then you deserved to be charged 20p for ice!

why does cider not need ice its your opinion but when people buy cider like magners kopperberg ,Bulmers in the thousands i have facts and figures for a month ant work how much cider is bought vast majority is magners and bulmers so all these people cant be wrong Magners is a fantastic drink .

why does cider not need ice its your opinion but when people buy cider like magners kopperberg ,Bulmers in the thousands i have facts and figures for a month ant work how much cider is bought vast majority is magners and bulmers so all these people cant be wrong Magners is a fantastic drink .

I don't doubt you're sales figures, however have you asked why these brands have become so trendy? ...... Advertising. When did cider suddenly "need ice" well about three years ago when these products were launched. Can you recall ice being served in cider before?? No. So why now? Well you make a product seem novel and trendy by glossy adverts and people will go "oh I need that...I can't think for myself, I must obey the television....must buy Magners".

The cider market has increased rapidly as a result and people now who may have initially been tempted by the Magner and Bulmers etc are willing to try other proper ciders.....not just the mass produced and marketed rubbish.

You try some proper cider and you'll see the difference. Personally I'ld rather pay for a cider knowing that most of my money spent has been on the product I am drinking hence a better product, rather than a product where more of the price per pint goes to advertising an inferior product.

It's just like cr@p lagers like carling etc etc. If people are like sheep and have no indepenent thought then they will sell. I've no problem with folks paying three quid a bottle of magners. Pubs know they are making a mint from the fools who buy it and hence can reduce costs of better quality products for the more discerning drinker.

Absolutely, 100% correct.

Absolutely, 100% correct.

However, cold drinks get drank quicker. And that is probably the reason. Pubs can't rely on 100 hundred regulars turning up every night nowadays.

But I agree, getting charged for ice seems ludicrous.

Sorry fella, but it's not. Putting ice with it was a fantastic marketing plan. You know as well as I do that bringing the temperature of a liquid down takes away all the taste. All it leaves is the "non-taste" of "cold".

Would they sup it without ice? You know the answer ....

You go down to the West Country, or Welsh border, and adulterate their cider with ice .... I dare you ....

Just because it sells, doesn't mean it's any good. Here are a few examples to clarify my theory ....

Bros

The Partridge Family

Watney's Red Barrel

Hofmeister

The Daily Heil

Sales don't guarantee quality; just popularity.

Sorry fella, but it's not. Putting ice with it was a fantastic marketing plan. You know as well as I do that bringing the temperature of a liquid down takes away all the taste. All it leaves is the "non-taste" of "cold".

Would they sup it without ice? You know the answer ....

You go down to the West Country, or Welsh border, and adulterate their cider with ice .... I dare you ....

Just because it sells, doesn't mean it's any good. Here are a few examples to clarify my theory ....

Bros

The Partridge Family

Watney's Red Barrel

Hofmeister

The Daily Heil

Sales don't guarantee quality; just popularity.

Indeed Happy Hippy...perhaps I may add to that list?

Spice Girls

Bernard Matthews

Vauxhaul Cars

PG Tips

Adidas / Nike etc

ITV

The Labour Party

The reason behind the 'ice in the glass' idea is down to the fact that you can't fit all of the cider in the glass at once so you take the bottle to your table.

Thus when there are many people drinking it in one bar, people take more notice of it and are encouraged to drink it as said product is seen to be 'trendy'.

Sneaky huh :)

Archived