Sheffield Rock Pubs.....the future?

goldenfleece

Well we all know the Classic Rock Bar is being knocked down, and it may be a while before a new version opens its doors in Sheffield, but who knows. Also on the way out is the SPORTSMAN on Cambridge STreet, which has been a rock bar on and off for many years now, but the tenancy has been ended there and I suspect the new owners may not respect the old "traditions". Have to wait and see on that one, anything could happen. The Yorkshireman Arms for example, once it changed hands some years back quickly stopped being a rock pub, I think it was gay karoake style bar briefly and then gradually became the lions Lair. I hope the SPortsman, which will be demolished anyway if the Council go ahead with its modernisation plan in this area, retains its traditions as its a welcome change from the wine bar and barn type pubs on Cambridge Street.

So we have only THE NELSON in the very near future being the only dedicated rock pub........things look very good for that venue as they will be picking up all the trade from the other places which are either closing or may be subject to big changes. Great pub and top vibe on a saturday night......

must not forget the little old DOVE AND RAINBOW though, although more of a punk and alternative bar than a pure rock bar. Have some good nights in there sometimes.....

RIP Under the Boardwalk, another one biting the dust relatively recently.....dont think we will see that as a rock bar again but I hope I am wrong.....

Originally posted by f_g

over the last few weeks ive noticed the sportsmans not been that good any way, love the nelson tho

No it seems to be losing all its old rock crowd to the Nelson, which provides a rock disco of course and certainly has a real good vibe. Also the Sportsman still has such a foul smell of stale vomit around the bar area the girl I was with on Saturday made me take her out within 5 minutes!! Girls tend to notice things like that.....I was not unduly disturbed by it as its been like that for months now. I believe they changed the carpet and it still made no difference.

Originally posted by dmjh

try the bedroom on west street, every monday 7-11.

If you want to try somewhere new.

Bedrock. Dj's Flint & Stoned

playing the best in emo. punk. rock & metal.

Pity it cant be SEVEN nights a week though and not just one.......as a pure rock pub that place might work....suggest it to the Manager.... he might just see the light.......

I'm too old for rock bars. Last time I requested something in the Dove and Rainbow she looked at me gone out:rolleyes:

And some of the modern dross that is played:o Especially at Corp:gag:

Originally posted by robbie

I'm too old for rock bars. Last time I requested something in the Dove and Rainbow she looked at me gone out:rolleyes:

And some of the modern dross that is played:o Especially at Corp:gag:

Too OLD for rock bars???? What rubbish.....never too old, the oldest and best form of popular music.

you never know, a dedicated rock bar may be opening in Sheffield in the very near future (nudge nudge wink wink) and the Washington do play rock(altough it is mixed up with the usual eclectic mix in there) most nights. I heard Led Zep, Motorhead, G N R and Rainbow in there last Friday night.

Archived